How to properly give fulids with Syringe for sick chicken

Moges amha

Songster
Dec 24, 2020
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Some of my chickens are refusing to eat or drink so i need hydrate them with hand and i think i am doin it wrong.two of them died cause they had water in their lungs .. any suggestions

You need a long syringe. Short ones make it harder. I get the 1cc syringes from Amazon which are longer than the 3 cc syringes because they are skinnier.

I had my daughter hold the bird, and shine a flashlight in there so I could see that I was avoiding the hole in the middle. Open the beak with your left hand and staying on right side of hen's throat, slip it gently to the right and slightly below the hole. When you remove the syringe, they should swallow.

1609496782062.png

If they are absolutely not eating, or drinking at all it will be near impossible to maintain their hydration levels by sticking a syringe into their mouth. That will help ward off dehydration, but will by no means prevent it from transpiring. If your birds are not eating, or drinking, they should be tube-fed. One should first determine if their crop is emptying throughout the day first and that they are producing stools.

If they are, you'll need to get some tube feeding supplies. You can find info on tube feeding here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...is the main,nutritional support to sick birds.

Of course, maintaining their nutritional, and hydration levels is one thing. Emphasis should also be put on to what is causing their problems, so treatment can be tailored to that as well.

You need a long syringe. Short ones make it harder. I get the 1cc syringes from Amazon which are longer than the 3 cc syringes because they are skinnier.

I had my daughter hold the bird, and shine a flashlight in there so I could see that I was avoiding the hole in the middle. Open the beak with your left hand and staying on right side of hen's throat, slip it gently to the right and slightly below the hole. When you remove the syringe, they should swallow.

View attachment 2470995
Well i was for sure i was doin it wrong and pretty sure the reason some of them died in addition to their sickness..really helpful thank you so much. Luckily they have started eatting and one has already recovered two of them are hopefully on their way to recovery. Hopefully i wont have to do it again but if i do i will use this technique and will give u a feed back. Thanks again

If they are absolutely not eating, or drinking at all it will be near impossible to maintain their hydration levels by sticking a syringe into their mouth. That will help ward off dehydration, but will by no means prevent it from transpiring. If your birds are not eating, or drinking, they should be tube-fed. One should first determine if their crop is emptying throughout the day first and that they are producing stools.

If they are, you'll need to get some tube feeding supplies. You can find info on tube feeding here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/step-by-step-tube-feeding-guide-pictures-under-construction.1064392/#:~:text=Start by tubing 14 ml,2-4 times a day.&text=Crop feeding is the main,nutritional support to sick birds.

Of course, maintaining their nutritional, and hydration levels is one thing. Emphasis should also be put on to what is causing their problems, so treatment can be tailored to that as well.
Honestly i didnt even know this technique excited am very new to chickens and where am from pretty sure they dont have the tools you sent me even the vets lol so i have to get it shipped. Looks very heplfull so i will for sure do my best to get it. Thanks really helpfull

The amount of fluids a sick bird needs cannot be given safely with a syringe, and this is because an adult sick bird needs no less that 5% of its bodyweight in fluids just too maintain proper hydration status, chicks and hens still actively laying will need more, 14%, & 18%, respectively. It's more complicated than giving just the 5%, 14%, or 18%, you must also correct for a deficit and give more if the sick bird has diarrhea.

As an example, a sick five pound hen will need no less than 114 no per day and might need up to twice that, and this cannot be one with a syringe, it must be done orally with a tube, or subcutaneously using proper veterinary or medical fluids, and this should only be done by people with prior experience giving fluids to cats or dogs.

For tubing the average sized adult you need a 60 ml catheter tip syringe and a size 18 French red rubber catheter. For tubing chicks, you need a size 8 or 10 French tube, a 1 ml, a 3 ml, and a 12 ml syringe.

Back
Top Bottom