I'm so old I Remember when:

This may be too philosophical for a Saturday morning but it addresses a lot of what we allude to here. (It's probably behind a firewall.) https://boriquagato.substack.com/p/in-praise-of-lawn-darts?utm_source=publication-search

"but childhood is hard. growing up is harder still.
it NEEDS to be hard, because if it is not, you’ll never actually become a self governing adult. you might “grow up” and never even realize there is such a thing as a self governing adult."

"it’s like that wonderful butterfly allegory where they have to struggle for hours to escape their cocoon. you might mean well and try to pry it open and help them. but if you do, they will die. the struggle is what fills their wings with blood and renders them able to fly. remove it, and they are forever earthbound, dragging their broken wings behind them.
and that is no fate for a butterfly.
and that is no fate for a child."

1714821871816.png

"

This may be too philosophical for a Saturday morning but it addresses a lot of what we allude to here. (It's probably behind a firewall.) https://boriquagato.substack.com/p/in-praise-of-lawn-darts?utm_source=publication-search

"but childhood is hard. growing up is harder still.
it NEEDS to be hard, because if it is not, you’ll never actually become a self governing adult. you might “grow up” and never even realize there is such a thing as a self governing adult."

"it’s like that wonderful butterfly allegory where they have to struggle for hours to escape their cocoon. you might mean well and try to pry it open and help them. but if you do, they will die. the struggle is what fills their wings with blood and renders them able to fly. remove it, and they are forever earthbound, dragging their broken wings behind them.
and that is no fate for a butterfly.
and that is no fate for a child."

View attachment 3820617

"
I couldn't agree more I see it soo often today, heck I see it here on this website.

Last edited:
I found mine recently but they didn't have all those A's & B's. :hmm

DD was a good student but I once told her "Papa didn't have B's on his report card." (My Mom would have thrown a party if I brought home a B.)
Same here. We even had a weekly report that showed our overall progress/behaviour, colour coded red, yellow, green. I was usually in the yellow but I remember a few times I got reds, lol!

Back
Top Bottom