Is about 100.5 okay for dry hatching?

Mar 8, 2024
Midwestern US
In my former thread that was asking what temp and humidity works for you I totally forgot to mention that I was doing a dry hatch☹️
So my question is, what temp do you use for dry hatching? I am currently doing around 100.5, but is that the proper temp for dry hatching? Also, is it okay that my temperature fluctuates about 2-3-4 degrees or is that something to asses?
What humidity do you increase it to for lockdown?

I'll tag peeps who may be able to help.
@GlicksChicks @Moon Daizy

Thanks so much!☺️

I use a Nurture Right 360 incubator and I do 100.5 fahrenheit for my dry hatches!

I would prefer to avoud fluctuations, but as long as it is not a severe fluctuation and it doesn't stay too low or too high too long then I wouldn't be as worried, but I would be worried if it happened alot.

When I do my dry hatches, I wrap a towel around my incubator to help regulate heat, like an extra insulator. Avoid covering any air holes though.

When a hen incubates her eggs, the temperatures vary. She also gets off her eggs at times to go eat and drink as well as let out any droppings she was holding in, so fluctuations in nature are normal.

I just finished dry hatching in a Maticoopx 30 and the temp was 99.5- 99.9. The bigger temp was reached during hatching. Humidity for first 18 days was 25%~30% with no water. Lockdown we brought it to 45-55% humidity by adding water to the smallest of two reservoirs. During hatching as excoected the humidity would rise as high as 78.9%. It would drop to low 70% between hatching. I understand the temperature is typically higher (101.5) when using an incubator without a fan.

I use a Nurture Right 360 incubator and I do 100.5 fahrenheit for my dry hatches!

I would prefer to avoud fluctuations, but as long as it is not a severe fluctuation and it doesn't stay too low or too high too long then I wouldn't be as worried, but I would be worried if it happened alot.

When I do my dry hatches, I wrap a towel around my incubator to help regulate heat, like an extra insulator. Avoid covering any air holes though.

When a hen incubates her eggs, the temperatures vary. She also gets off her eggs at times to go eat and drink as well as let out any droppings she was holding in, so fluctuations in nature are normal.
So like if it fluctuates 2-3 degrees should that be fine?

Hello! I only have done this one hatch, so not really experienced!

Our temperature didn't fluctuate. The thermometer on the incubator stayed at 37.8C, and the calibrated thermometer at the bottom usually said 37.4, but it's thermometer sensor is on the underside, so against the floor of the thermometer. So the average temperature was about right. It is a fan assisted, round incubator, much like a Brinsea (only a slightly cheaper alternative) and I don't think we had any hot or cold spots. The egg rotator turned the egg in a 360 circle anyway (it was removed for lockdown).

We also dry hatched - the humidity was naturally between 20-30%, which was where we wanted it. For hatch, I did increase it to between 30-40%. My daughters took readings everyday, usually six times a day throughout the whole incubation, which they then averaged (as part of their home ed studies), so I do have full data set if anyone is interested!

We were hatching three different breeds, one of which was Maran which apparently prefer a dry hatch for the lockdown too. So we didn't want to raise the humidity much for the lockdown period, but when the second of the Cream Legbar's got a dry membrane after pipping, and then struggled to zip, I did add the water bottles to increase humidity to 50-60%. It did actually get shrink wrapped, and I did have to assist. The inner membrane was completely sucked onto the poor thing and it could not turn; it would not have been able to zip. It is a proper spunky lil boy now, but I'm pretty sure he knows I helped him as he ran into my hand this morning in the brooder, and settled down in my palm - so sweet.

Overall it has been an interesting journey. I may write a blog post to help me remember what we did, in case we ever want to incubate eggs again in the future, and in case anyone else can learn anything through what we did!

Last edited:
I've ran multiple tests to determine what size bulb will work best in my 'new' bator. Its got a 15 watt light bulb in it right now and I've tested a 33 and a 25 watt bulb in it ( I'll be using the dry hatch method) Mine fluctuates between 99.8 and 100.7 and the humidity usually stays between 35% or 40%

Yes, a broody hen isn't the same temperature all the time, so temperature fluctuating slightly should not hurt.

You should only be concerned if it does it alot and if it starts to fluctuate more degrees than that.
Okay...... So when I woke up this morning it was 99, pumped it up a few degrees, then it was 102, then I put it down a few and now it's at 100.6

Back
Top Bottom