Is Aspen Bedding Okay for Baby Chicks?

Chicken Geek

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 17, 2013
I'm new to BYC and raise chickens and I went shopping for supplies yesterday and the only bedding they had was aspen...is that ok? Thanks in advance:rolleyes:

Apsen is probably the best option out of the commercially available shavings (cedar, pine, aspen). Cedar is terrible for any living thing - the oils and such, while they smell nice, are irritable for skin and respiratory systems. Pine has similar oils that excrete but at a far lower level - in confined areas with poor ventilation, it ca still cause respiratory issues in animals. Aspen is a hardwood and doesn't have the aromatic oils of cedar and pine. Aspen is usually a bit more expensive than pine so it isn't used as often, and pine is okay if you have ventilation. If you're all ready using aspen, I'd keep using it.

Aspen is fine to use.
smile.png

I use aspen for baby chicks and rabbits. It is the best for delicate young respiratory systems. I transition to pine for the chicks after a few weeks.

Thank you guys sooooo much!
thumbsup.gif
The chickens hatch tomorrow and we will get them anywhere from Tuesday- Thursday!!!
wee.gif
I will use aspen, thanks for the pep talk!

Apsen is probably the best option out of the commercially available shavings (cedar, pine, aspen).  Cedar is terrible for any living thing - the oils and such, while they smell nice, are irritable for skin and respiratory systems.  Pine has similar oils that excrete but at a far lower level - in confined areas with poor ventilation, it ca still cause respiratory issues in animals.  Aspen is a hardwood and doesn't have the aromatic oils of cedar and pine.  Aspen is usually a bit more expensive than pine so it isn't used as often, and pine is okay if you have ventilation.  If you're all ready using aspen, I'd keep using it.
Thats very helpful. I did not know that

Back
Top Bottom