Is Home Defense safe for chickens?

Ninjasquirrel

Free Ranging
6 Years
May 11, 2018
Northwest Indiana
If any of you saw my post What is this bug? You will note i recently found a cockroach in my basement. In the years prior to having chickens we sprayed all around our property with Home Defense and had no issue with these bugs. However our chicken free range in our backyard now. We are worried that even though it is rated indoor/outdoor that the chickens could eat the dead bugs and become ill or worse. Are we worrying for nothing and should go ahead and spray the backyard or should we not?

I won’t use home defense in or around the coop since the chickens can consume the contaminated bugs. If I remember right, on the label it’s says it safe for pets and kids to enter the room after it dries up. If it has that label of precautions, I won’t risk it, since you don’t know what allergic reactions your chickens might have on exposure or consumption of the dead bugs.

I won’t use home defense in or around the coop since the chickens can consume the contaminated bugs. If I remember right, on the label it’s says it safe for pets and kids to enter the room after it dries up. If it has that label of precautions, I won’t risk it, since you don’t know what allergic reactions your chickens might have on exposure or consumption of the dead bugs.
Thats what we were worried about. As a precaution we sprayed inside around the entry points but not outside in the back.

I haven't seen the label lately but if I remember correctly the active ingredient in Home Defense is Bifenthrin. Some people say no chemicals are safe but this is one product that is rated to be used indoors and outdoors as well as in food/restaurant facilities. The manufacturer says that it is safe around chickens as long as it is allowed to dry. They specifically say that the birds will not be harmed by eating bugs exposed to Bifenthrin. I spray with it around my house every year and have never observed any ill affects from it. If it is not in Home Defense I would consider it a safe alternative.

That stuff worked great before having chickens!

I use permethrin now... which is also used on the birds for lice or mites as needed.

It comes in many concentrations including ready to use...
TE006407

for larger applications... permethrin SFR... or Martin's 10, you dilute to the desired level and use your own applicator
81vunnXuMjL._SY879_.jpg

81LkBtIpqoL._SX522_.jpg

Please note it is considered effective... even against termites!

:fl

No. Would you spray your food with it before you eat it? :sick Of course not. ;) If you have chickens in the backyard to eat bugs why would you spray it? I would spray the house and leave the yard alone, If it was me.

I'm glad Permethrin works for you but me personally...well if I'm not going to risk the life of my chickens to prevent a few bugs I certainly won't risk my cat's life either

Home Defense contains two insecticides in the permethrin family, plus 'inert ingredients', whatever they are. No safer for cats, or anyone, when wet!!! For chickens, it's best to use permethrin, the approved product. For the house, whatever you are comfortable using.
Mary
I agree its no safer when WET. Permethrin is still toxic to cats when DRY. At any rate I care about my animals so I don't like to take risks.

Back
Top Bottom