Is my chicken brooding?

Laina0dell

Hatching
Apr 21, 2024
So my speckled Sussex appears only once a day in the evening and then just disappears. We're on 3 acres and they have a half acre fenced in area to roam. She must be flying where the gate is low? Do you think she is brooding somewhere out in the woods? None of the other girls do this but I'm just left clueless. Thanks everyone.

So yesterday was the first day I noticed her gone all day. I saw the neighbors dog around the fence and completely assumed the worse. I was in their run all day hoping to spot something then around 6pm she just appeared and ate, drank and sat with the rooster for a bit. I was relieved and felt bad for being upset with the neighbors. Now this morning I go out there and she's gone again. This is only day 2 but I just can't help but worry about her. My husband went out to see if he can spot her but no luck yet. I'm anxiously waiting for her to return tonight and will pay attention more to how she behaves. Thank you for your response

Attachments

• 20240420_135224.jpg
    20240420_135224.jpg
    617.4 KB · Views: 0
You could "pay more attention to how she behaves" but also follow her to see where she goes.
If your worried about the neighbors dog you should really move her and her clutch to a safer spot like inside a coop/garage/crate.

Is she sleeping in the coop at night?
Nope she came back around 6pm roamed for like an hour and then disappeared again. Yesterday was day 2 of this behavior. Hubby couldn't find a nest outside the nest but it's a huge area if she's hidden well I'm not surprised. Should I stalk her? Or let her do her thing?

You could "pay more attention to how she behaves" but also follow her to see where she goes.
If your worried about the neighbors dog you should really move her and her clutch to a safer spot like inside a coop/garage/crate.
If only I could find it!!! I'm going to try harder today. I'm 33w pregnancy with a very hilly terrain so it's a bit hard to stalk her haha

If only I could find it!!! I'm going to try harder today. I'm 33w pregnancy with a very hilly terrain so it's a bit hard to stalk her haha
Well that came out of left field...🤣

Drop the hammer, put the foot down (gently, your pregnant), point your finger (wave it if necessary)...appoint someone of lower rank to do said 'stalking'.

Go sit down... And enjoy your hot flashes and morning sickness. 🙂

Nope she came back around 6pm roamed for like an hour and then disappeared again. Yesterday was day 2 of this behavior. Hubby couldn't find a nest outside the nest but it's a huge area if she's hidden well I'm not surprised. Should I stalk her? Or let her do her thing?
Depends on what kind of risk you want to take.
If you let her do her thing, she may not survive due to predators.
I'd grab her when she comes back for dinner and confine her.

Back
Top Bottom