It's All Over But The Crying

GentFarmer

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 10, 2014
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
While I guess I can't actually say "there's no turning back now," I did place my order for 10 ducklings this morning from Metzer, which is just about 1.5 hours south of me. The order is for Welsh Harlequins, with five of them sexed and tagged female. The other 5 are straight run.

I don't pick them up until the 25th, so now it's the proverbial waiting game, while I futz about the yard, engineer a duck coop (I've all but decided to house them separate from the chickens), and generally worry about the whole thing. :)

While I guess I can't actually say "there's no turning back now," I did place my order for 10 ducklings this morning from Metzer, which is just about 1.5 hours south of me. The order is for Welsh Harlequins, with five of them sexed and tagged female. The other 5 are straight run.

I don't pick them up until the 25th, so now it's the proverbial waiting game, while I futz about the yard, engineer a duck coop (I've all but decided to house them separate from the chickens), and generally worry about the whole thing. :)
It will be here before you know it. and good idea to have them separate from your chickens they will appreciate it too.Actually both parties.

I found having the brooder set up, including testing the heating, was a real saving grace, as the ducklings arrived early.

What will you be using for bedding? What kind of watering station will you use to prevent Camp Swampy?

I am thrilled for you!!!!!

wee.gif

I found having the brooder set up, including testing the heating, was a real saving grace, as the ducklings arrived early.

What will you be using for bedding? What kind of watering station will you use to prevent Camp Swampy?

I am thrilled for you!!!!!

wee.gif

For bedding, I'm going to go with pine shavings. I had good luck with it when I brooded my chicks. I don't have to worry about an early arrival, since I'm going to go pick them up in person. I have 6' oblong, galvanized tub that I'm using for the brooder with just a wire screen over the top. Since the weather's been so unpredictable, I'll brood them inside with me for at least the first couple of weeks, or until I start missing a full night's sleep, whichever comes first. lol

As to the waterer, I'm using a gravity-fed waterer on a wire-mesh platform sitting in a disposable baking pan. What water spills out can at least be contained slightly that way. ...he says, full of hubris and self-confidence. ;-)

Have you considered how they will wash their little heads? We had bath time, then I read here on the forum about head washers. So I made one and it worked out more or less. I kept it in a pyrex pie plate. I was pretty good with water management, but I think if there is ever a next time, I will do what you are talking about (how I picture it), or follow 70%cocoa's lead, or do what Tweetysvoice did.

It will be here before you know it. and good idea to have them separate from your chickens they will appreciate it too.Actually both parties.

Don't I know it! I'm already feeling behind. I came home this afternoon and immediately got busy clearing out the side of the yard where I plan on putting the coop. I'm also building a hay manger since I go through straw up here to beat the band, what with a rabbitry, chicken coop, a huge run, and now ducks. So I'm planning on building a combo manger/duck enclosure which should be cozy and elevated off the ground to prevent it from becoming a mud pit.

Don't I know it! I'm already feeling behind. I came home this afternoon and immediately got busy clearing out the side of the yard where I plan on putting the coop. I'm also building a hay manger since I go through straw up here to beat the band, what with a rabbitry, chicken coop, a huge run, and now ducks. So I'm planning on building a combo manger/duck enclosure which should be cozy and elevated off the ground to prevent it from becoming a mud pit.

Sounds great!!!

Well you've done it now lol don't worry you'll find out fast what works and what doesn't AFTER they arrive
gig.gif
Ha! I have little doubt. ;-)

Look forward to pics of progress[ don't feel the least bit pressured] It's the law on BYC we all have to watch.
lol.png
Yes, I've already cozied up with exhibitionism. lol

Back
Top Bottom