June Bug Trap *EASY*

Zoobler

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 25, 2012
My chickens have been enjoying a ton of June Bugs every morning. I only have three chickens so all i use is a 5 gallon water bucket but for a larger flock i imagine a childs wading pool would work great.

I simply fill the 5 gallon bucket 3/4 of the way full. Then I place a heat lamp with a regular bulb right over the water...obviously secure it SOLID AND TIGHT!!! Turn the light on at dusk and in the morning the top of the water should be covered with june bugs!

Enjoy a flock of excited happy chickens!!! :)

I've been trying to think of a way to catch June bugs for the chickens - without using the commercial lures that will bring them from all around. Can't wait to try this!

LOL, yesterday, I put a shallow wading pool in the run for the girls, and this morning, there were several june bugs in the water. The girls polished them off in about 30 seconds. I am going to catch some for them, like you suggested. Thanks.

Just wondering, is catching bugs and freezing them possible? Or is there any way to catch large amounts of bugs to save them for later? Also what is the nutritional value of a June Bugs to chickens?

Insects are packed with proteins, minerals, and fats. Insects are perfect food for chickens. I have my flock run in about 2 acres and I don't have hardly an insect, spider, or other crawly critter anywhere in the yard. The chickens eat'em as fast as they emerge or enter the yard. Catching june bugs when they are out is a fantastic way to supplement the protein intake for the flock. Besides, they go crazy when you start dropping them on the ground.

This is gonna sound weird, but this helped me not feed chickens, but to trap a June bug that got into our apartment. We lost track of it in our main area, so we turned off all the lights except for a night-light and then put a container of water underneath. Within 30 minutes I checked it and it was right there, and removed it without a fly-swatter. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom