lil call duck with egg binding, help!!

bellah1

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2012
Western Washington
i have a lil call duck with egg binding. it is HUGEaand hard as a rock! we have had her in a bath of warm water for 30-40 mins and tried to help it out but it is so big. it is so thick and hard as a rock that i don't know how to break it. i need any pointers!

I am not familiar with ducks, but with chickens you would also give a dose of calcium--crushed Tums or an adult calcium tablet, even crushed eggs shell, or liquid calcium gluconate. Lubricate her vent with a rubber glove, and try to help it out.

http://www.callducks.net/egg_problems.htm when you get on this site there is a very good section about call duck egg binding. Tell how to break the egg if you have to go that route, have you tried using olive oil or vaseline and putting up inside lubing the vent? I don't think I would try to break the egg but if you can get her to a vet that would be best.

Last edited:
my husband went to the store to get ky jelly and i was gonna give her another bath and then lubricated her vent. what do u think is better ky or vaseline? should i try room help her right out of the bath after lubrication or brand let her sit for a while by herself?

my husband went to the store to get ky jelly and i was gonna give her another bath and then lubricated her vent. what do u think is better ky or vaseline? should i try room help her right out of the bath after lubrication or brand let her sit for a while by herself?
Either will be fine, I'd let her float in the tub as long as she'll stay and the water stays warm, I even read that putting them on a heating pad on low with a thick towel over top is another way to keep everything humid. Another thing you might try is after she has soaked for a while try inserting your finger in her vent the warm water may relax her enough you can get a finger around the egg and help it out

i got it out!!!! she was still calm and drinking water. i gave her a final bath and did the ky and she just couldn't pass it so i took a brand new syringe and asperated it then i was able to get my finger up next to it and the tip just kinda smooshed and stayed whole and i was able to just pull it out whole. put her in a clean bath and she was so happy swimming around and bathing! thanks!!!

i got it out!!!! she was still calm and drinking water. i gave her a final bath and did the ky and she just couldn't pass it so i took a brand new syringe and asperated it then i was able to get my finger up next to it and the tip just kinda smooshed and stayed whole and i was able to just pull it out whole. put her in a clean bath and she was so happy swimming around and bathing! thanks!!!

Good Post
goodpost.gif
glad every thing came out all right
jumpy.gif

What a relief!!! Congratulations!! job well done.
big_smile.png

Glad you got it out! If I were you I'd go to Tractor Supply and get some Calcium Gluconate from the cattle section. IMO it's a must have for anyone that has poultry or waterfowl. The dose I give is 200-300mg per 2.2 pounds and I give it orally and I also give some vitamin E with it. With a duck I will draw a warm bath and put them in the tube then leave them alone. Chickens I put in a box on some towels in a warm, dark room.

I used to use human calcium pills, but they're harder to give and they don't work as fast, so this is what I use now:

-Kathy​

Back
Top Bottom