Masculine pullet or feminine cockerel?

Canadian Wind

Duck Crazy Canuck
Premium Feather Member
Jul 25, 2022
Eastern Ontario
My Coop
My Coop
I have a frizzle cochin bantam that is puzzling the heck out of me. Hatched late April or early May, can't remember. Comb development is somewhere between it's sister and it's brothers. And it crows, but very softly and usually not a complete crow and not all the time like my other cockerels and roos.

20221014_102207.jpg

Do you have him in with other roosters or more dominant cockerels? Here’s a video I did showing how cockerel hormonal development can be retarded based on their place in the pecking order:

Interesting (and beautiful birds!). Star was kept inside due to being a bit weak when I transitioned his/her siblings outdoors and was joined not too long after by a silkie pullet who had gone blind (she's now recovered, thank goodness! but they'll be inside for the winter). So, no dominant roo or cockerel around.

I then got some OEGB and they are also inside, one roo and four hens, but I got those in late September.

By comparison, here is one of Star's brothers. Both pictures were taken in early/mid October:

20221009_122913.jpg

Oh, found a more recent picture of Star, taken on November 27th (I knew I had a newer one somewhere!)

20221127_134300.jpg

You can see there hasn't been much change in Star's overall look, so far as comb and face goes.

Interesting (and beautiful birds!). Star was kept inside due to being a bit weak when I transitioned his/her siblings outdoors and was joined not too long after by a silkie pullet who had gone blind (she's now recovered, thank goodness! but they'll be inside for the winter). So, no dominant roo or cockerel around.

I then got some OEGB and they are also inside, one roo and four hens, but I got those in late September.

By comparison, here is one of Star's brothers. Both pictures were taken in early/mid October:

View attachment 3346783

Oh, found a more recent picture of Star, taken on November 27th (I knew I had a newer one somewhere!)

View attachment 3346784

You can see there hasn't been much change in Star's overall look, so far as comb and face goes.

Can you get a photo with your hand or a piece of paper under the saddles? That makes it easier to see the true shape. Also, ruffle underneath to look for pointy feathers that haven't grown out fully yet.

The health problem might have both delayed Star's maturity and affected his/her feather quality.

I don't know if being kept indoors can affect either speed of development or the quality of the feathers. Does he/she ever get to go out in them sun?

Well, don't know if these will help... Star did NOT appreciate me trying to lift up their feathers. Got a few more pics of their back and fluffy behind.

Oh, and no feathers coming in underneath. The frizzle makes it even harder to tell some of the feather shapes, too >.>

20221211_113411.jpg

20221211_113448.jpg

This is a very fluffy chicken...

It is 100% a cockerel, just a late bloomer. You can see male specific feathering on his shoulders.
The colour that's starting to come in? I just noticed it myself.

My daughter is going to be soooooo miffed! :lau She prides herself in being able to pick out females from a bunch of unsexed chicks, and out of the four, three are male, lol!!!

The colour that's starting to come in? I just noticed it myself.

My daughter is going to be soooooo miffed! :lau She prides herself in being able to pick out females from a bunch of unsexed chicks, and out of the four, three are male, lol!!!

Now that I'm on my desktop instead of my phone I can see those flecks of red.

Back
Top Bottom