Newtopoltry

In the Brooder
May 5, 2023
Hello, I'm new to owning a duck and shes a few weeks away from being 1 year old. She suddenly lost her voice yesterday within about 2-4 hours since my dad gets up around 5-6 a.m. and she was quacking at him then, but after I got up to see her at around 7-8 a.m. she didn't make a sound. She tries to quack but all we hear is her breathing. She still eats and drinks fine and her poop is normal as well. Does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong? Shes a Pekin by the way.
Update: She seems breathing a little fast, and I think she might be a little drowsy. She also seems to be limping.
Here's a video of her. My sister thinks she might have the flu or something stuck in her throat.

Last edited:
Look into mites in the throat. Chickens can lose their voices over it.
Hey so I looked into it and its not giving me a lot of information. Other than info on some air sac mites and even then it's saying euthanasia is the best way to go. I really hope that isn't what she has. Is it possible for you to give me some more information?

Have you checked this website out?

https://wagwalking.com/bird/condition/air-sac-mites

It might not be that at all, but it's good to rule things out! Have you switched her feed or done something different with her water? And has she been lethargic for long before this or did it just start when she lost her voice?
We haven't changed her feed same with her water. She only started acting this way after she lost her voice, and she's always been pretty active.

Hello, I'm new to owning a duck and shes a few weeks away from being 1 year old. She suddenly lost her voice yesterday within about 2-4 hours since my dad gets up around 5-6 and she was quacking at him then, but after I got up to see her at around 7-8 she didn't make a sound. She tries to quack but all we hear is her breathing. She still eats and drinks fine and her poop is normal as well. Does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong? Shes a Pekin by the way.
Update: She seems breathing a little fast, and I think she might be a little lethargic. She also seems to be limping.
Can you get a video of her?
Upload video to YouTube and provide a link.

She's limping and breathing fast - have you checked out her legs and bottom of the feet for injury or bumblefoot.

I'll tag in some Duck folks to see if they can offer some suggestions.

@Miss Lydia @Quatie @HollowOfWisps

We haven't changed her feed same with her water. She only started acting this way after she lost her voice, and she's always been pretty active.
I'm not sure what to tell you! Ducks aren't my specialty. Hopefully some others who are more experienced than I will be able to help you!

A video would be good so we can see and hear what she is doing.

There have been a few others recently that have had their ducks go hoarse.
How about other symptoms like discharge from nares, eyes clear? You say
poop is normal and she is eating and drinking which are good signs.

The only thing I can think of to try would be some ACV with mother in her drinking water. 1 Tab per gallon. I can't see putting her on an antibiotic when she doesn't appear to be sick.

Hopefully others will reply.

:welcome

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom