My Renovated Prefab Coop

I feel your pain. I went through the same ordeal, but luckily I only have 7 now and they all get along and mind their place in the pecking order, so I can wait till spring for my new build. I just placed an order for 3 spring chicks as a motivator! They are hard so hard to resist:)
I have 15 but I fully expect a couple not to make it. (In fact, there is one looking a little weak right now.) And there is a rooster or two probably in there. So all in all, I think I'll end up with 10. Whatever it is, I'll make it work!

I've had a busy two days and I'm so proud of myself. A while ago, @rosemarythyme suggested I turn my prefab coop and run into a coop. I thought it was a great idea... I just never got around to it. I had some bad luck with LT and had to cull my whole flock. I recently decided to start over... with chicks this time. My chicken yard had been released from quarantine since I've done everything the local extension program required I do. I ordered 15 new chicks that should be delivered in a few days. I used my day off for MLK Day to follow RoseMaryThyme's suggestion. I gutted the coop portion and added a floor, and closed in the run. So now, I have a decent, albeit small, coop. I added a coat of paint, and even moved my backyard camera to the coop. My mama heating pad is in place. Now, I'm just ready for my chicks. I'm super stoked and can't wait to add my new chicks! Here are my the pictures that outline my progress.

View attachment 2496039

Added the floor

View attachment 2496045

Removed all the innards except to nesting boxes.

View attachment 2496046

Added panels to close in the run.

View attachment 2496047

View attachment 2496049

Added a coat of paint! And voila!!! My renovated coop.

View attachment 2496050

Next, add imagery on the panels and chicks!
This is really impressive and I may copy you if I am taken over by the chicken math and want more than 4 chickens! I have a very similar coop/run myself! Thanks for sharing! This is great inspiration and way more affordable!

How did everything go? How are the chicks? Have you started your new coop?😁
Everything is going GREAT. I have 12 chickens, some of which started laying just this week. I am super excited. My neighbor gave me some old 10x10 dog fencing so I used that as a run. That is perfect for them in the daytime but I noticed just this week how crowded they are at night so I added 2 more pickets they can roost on at night. I do have a new, larger coop being delivered within the coming weeks. Chicken math is real but I am loving this new relationship.
IMG-0575.jpg

IMG-0577.jpg

IMG-1037.jpg

Do you have a picture of the roosts in this prefab conversion? I’m converting mine (I have this exact one) and would like to see how you did that? Thanks!
Yes. Unfortunately my chicks used the nesting box for roosting and all 12 were crammed into the box and on the window ledge. So I bought two pickets from Lowe’s and used my drill to install them. This gave them much more room. You can also consider installing a bar the long way. I hope this helps.

448B9DDF-EF48-403F-B655-6D60E5776369.jpeg

36A00E8B-C700-4715-BC30-1D8518FEF865.jpeg

0E31ADBF-2B3D-4B9D-8CD1-FB4E001AFB78.jpeg

Yes. Unfortunately my chicks used the nesting box for roosting and all 12 were crammed into the box and on the window ledge. So I bought two pickets from Lowe’s and used my drill to install them. This gave them much more room. You can also consider installing a bar the long way. I hope this helps.

View attachment 2710007

View attachment 2710009

View attachment 2710010
Thank you! This is awesome! I have my wood cut. Tomorrow I paint and start conversion.

Coop renovation update… this is what I’ve done so far. Multiple pictures for viewing. Still have decorating and gardening to do outside around coop. Going to move feed under nesting boxes I think. Have the door, the end (access to run side), and an inch and a half on front and back large pieces for ventilation. View attachment 2715888View attachment 2715889View attachment 2715890View attachment 2715891View attachment 2715892View attachment 2715893View attachment 2715894
Great job! This looks great. Make sure you secure the flooring well. I have a problem with seepage when it rains. Also, I’m considering removing one of the panels to allow greater airflow now that it’s summer. Think about that if your summers in Tennessee get really hot. I’ve learned so much since then but it was fun learning. How many chicks?

Great job! This looks great. Make sure you secure the flooring well. I have a problem with seepage when it rains. Also, I’m considering removing one of the panels to allow greater airflow now that it’s summer. Think about that if your summers in Tennessee get really hot. I’ve learned so much since then but it was fun learning.

Back
Top Bottom