nipple waterers leaking at threading

Cynth

Songster
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Lyman, Maine
I am not using any preasure but need some help figuring out how to seal the threading to the pipe. should I use glue? or silicone? Help please.

Did you drill the right size hole? What type of nipples are they?
You can use pvc cement as it is potable and creates a seal.

Petejd, She said she is using lots of teflon tape. If that is not working, adding more probably will not help.

When I first tried installing mine I was tempted to drill larger holes (they wouldn't go in at first) until I found a system that worked for me and the nipples I had bought.

Poultry Nipple Installation

If I had to guess, the holes that are too large. I personally would grab a new piece of PVC and re-drill if the teflon tape didn't do the trick.

If you can't get the nipples to work, you can always get pre-built waterer cups like these:

62744_inswater.jpg

Quote:
Cynth, if you have used a few wraps of tape and it is still leaking, the hole may be out of round or a bit too big. PVC glue will not work, the nipples are not made of PVC. Remove all the tape and clean up the threads, place a bead of silicone on the threads and the shoulder that rests against the pipe when fully screwed in. Then when the nipple is screwed in run your finger around the outside of the shoulder to smooth out the silicone. Then let the pipe set dry for 24 hours. It takes that long for the silicone to fully cure.

Back
Top Bottom