Official BYC Poll - How Many Square Feet Per Chicken?

How many square feet do you CURRENTLY have per chicken?

Votes: 7 1.4%

Votes: 38 7.8%

Votes: 57 11.7%

Votes: 75 15.4%

Votes: 34 7.0%

Votes: 30 6.2%

Votes: 24 4.9%

Votes: 21 4.3%

Votes: 12 2.5%

Votes: 37 7.6%
  • 11 +

Votes: 152 31.2%

• Total voters

Nifty-Chicken

Administrator
BYC Staff
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
We've got thousands of members and thousands of very different setups for our chickens, so here is an official poll:

Main Poll: How many square feet do you CURRENTLY have per chicken?

You can also reply with more detail, specifically:

1. Inside space per chicken
  2. Run space per chicken
  3. Free-range space per chicken

Looking forward to your replies!!!

pop.gif

Last edited:
11+ square feet in the coop per chicken. About 5 square feet per chicken in the outside pen they get let into during the day.

6 chickens, 4x8ft coop (pen still in progress) so... 5.33sq. ft per chicken.
current outside pen is only 6ft in diameter (circle), so 4.71sq ft. per chicken outside...
so in all my chickens have about 10sq ft each!

We have about 30 grown chickens.

In each coop (we have 3 - each measures at least 8'x8' ) there are at least 6 ft per bird....leaves room to grow.

The run is 50'x50' chain link fence (6' tall) and is divided equally into three separate smaller runs - so I can keep seperate breeds :)

Free range space is about two acres - each group rotates the day they free range.

Here is a short video of our set up - before we added the third coop (now where you see the feeding area in the video)

Ugh...will post link tomorrow - can't do it from tablet...

Last edited:
I have almost 3.5 sq ft per bird, with 18 LF and 6 bantams. Didn't do the square footage for the run, but it surrounds the coop on three sides, varying four to seven feet in width. Don't know if that's the "legal" limit, but I know that 24 is the most I can have before they start getting cranky with each other.

Cannot free range because I have a family of hawks that live in the trees behind my house. They are so regular at attacking the run that I don't dare let them out, even if I'm with them.
sad.png

Our current setup:

1. Inside space per chicken: 3 ft.
  2. Run space per chicken: 5 ft.
  3. Free-range space per chicken: 200 ft.

They spend the night inside the main "coop" and then have free access to the covered run. The entire setup is enclosed with chain-link fence.

We have an auto coop door from the run which opens up to our side-yard. This is where they hang out during the day.

Last edited:
Working on our coop, we have 27 chicks expecting some to be Roo's, building an 8x10. Looking at 200 sq ft for run, they will free range during the day for set amount of time.

Back
Top Bottom