Official BYC Poll: How often do you change your chickens' water in hot weather?

How often do you change your chickens' water in hot weather?

• Multiple times a day

Votes: 54 26.7%
  • Once a day

Votes: 75 37.1%
  • Every other day

Votes: 27 13.4%
  • Twice a week

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Once a week

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Only when it looks dirty

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • Whenever the water level is low

Votes: 57 28.2%
  • When I remember

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I have an automatic waterer, so I rarely change it manually

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • I use a water additive to keep it fresh longer, so I change it less frequently

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters
I have 8 chickens and 1 duck. I have two 2 gallon buckets and a medium size kiddie pool in the run. My girls free range during the day and periodically return to the run for water. I appreciate this thread for all the information. I don’t know why, but it didn’t even occur to me to add multiple water sources outside of the run so they don’t have to go all the way back to the run! 🙄 Anyway, I work 12 hour shifts, so on work days, all water sources get change once in AM and once when I get home. On off days, I may change it more than that. My OCD won’t allow for going without cleaning them each time, but like many others with the joy of ducks, it’s just necessary! 😂

A very timely poll!

I keep a flock of 29 right now. Of course it can vary depending on losses and additions.

I use multiple open water dishes that hold a gallon each. I dump and refill 2 times a day year round actually. In winter I carry out warm water in the morning and again when I get home from work at 3 pm.
In summer it's easier since I can use the hose.
I scrub the dishes every Saturday to keep the chances of bacteria or slime down.

Of course summer brings treats from the garden of cabbage, swiss chard, cantaloupe, tomatoes, bell peppers and watermelon. It's not a daily treat but they certainly enjoy it.
We have multiple as well. During the summer we have a large umbrella to keep the running water cool. They love to have their feet in cool water too, so we'll water the grass down, or water down the concrete where our 'chicken porch' is (it used to be ours).

I bought a kiddie pool. I put about 2-3 inches of water in it. I have picked up a few of my flock and placed them in the pool, I tossed their fav treat in. I wash it out every morning and replace the water. I can not get them to utilize it. What else can I do? The pool might become a dust bathe. Lol

Back
Top Bottom