Only 1 of 4 hens laying (2 years old)

No need to apologize, if you feel it's detrimental to the birds then don't use it. The feeds I use don't have it, if that's something you're actively avoiding. But until my chicks come into lay, I'm unlikely to get more than 2 eggs a day out of 8 hens... that's what I get for choosing decorative birds over layers, and for not culling as birds age out of laying years.
I have a hard time with the age culling thing personally. I never have more than 40 so is not a real issue here. I let them "retire", usually find them a couple years after retirement, peacefully expired, and then they go into the back pasture for the local wildlife to recycle.

No need to apologize, if you feel it's detrimental to the birds then don't use it. The feeds I use don't have it, if that's something you're actively avoiding. But until my chicks come into lay, I'm unlikely to get more than 2 eggs a day out of 8 hens... that's what I get for choosing decorative birds over layers, and for not culling as birds age out of laying years.
It's not an easy hobby. Thankfully, idc for eggs or chicken, lol. I cull all roosters, all toms. But as far as the girls go, they just fade away, lol. Retirement i reckon.

Back
Top Bottom