Our barn cats caught a weasel!

besjoux

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 7, 2012
We have been here 7 years and never have seen one and our kitties have never caught one until this week. Naturally, our chicks are just 9 weeks old and this is somewhat startling that they are coming out now. The weasel was just about 4 inches long and quite small so I assume a baby? We do have a great coop except one area by the run door that I need to fix. Coop is fine though. Have you seen weasels in your area?

GREAT kitties :) Our one barn cat is the best hunter that I've met. It will be a sad day if something gets her. We live in Kalamazoo, Michigan. My friend, 1 mile behind us, lost all of her chicks to weasels. We have a great coop because of this but only did the hardware cloth 1/3 of the way up on the run. It was just too expensive to do the complete thing. We did the top and rest of the side of the run in 2x4 welded wire. We lock the chickies in at night and do plan on free range if we can.

Weasels are great climbers and will have no problem getting in wire that size. Chicken is their favorite meal. We lost several large flocks of chickens when I was a kid to weasels. It is pretty traumatizing to find 30 hens dead with bite marks to their necks when you go to collect the eggs. Good luck keeping them out. Can you keep killer kitty where your coop is? That might keep the weasels at bay and will be cost effective.

Back
Top Bottom