Panting Cornish Crosses

Paula321

Songster
Oct 28, 2019
Lake Wales, Florida (Central Florida)
My 5 week old Cornish x are miserable. They are in a shaded run/coop but our high is 90 degrees in Central Florida. They have lots of water, plenty of breezes and cold items like chilled cabbage. Most of the meat chicks are panting terrible and some even cough. The same age laying pullets are not seeming bothered at all.

Is there anything I should do for them other than providing cold water? Should I wipe them down with water?

Cornishx chicks are very fragile, and the heat is bad for them. How about frozen watermellon, or ice cubes in their water, or a very shallow pan of cool water? Misting will help if it's not too humid, and the coolest location you have for them. Basement? Garage?
It's easy to loose them to the heat!
Will your hot weather moderate soon? I'd plan to process them sooner rather than later if you can't get them doing better.
Post on your state thread for better advice; we have snow on the ground up here!
Mary

I wiped them down with cool water yesterday. It is very breezy so they perked up immediately. It will be cooler again for the next two weeks. They wouldn’t even go to the water. I brought the three waterers around to them and they would drink though. I will get the frozen fruit and also freeze their vegi slaw mix they get as treats. Poor guys. I planned to do another batch of 25 after this as it is still spring in Florida. I’ll definitely get an air conditioner hooked up and keep them inside during the heat of the day. Maybe I can free range them from 6-9 am that will be enough. I hate to have to coop them up. Some were not smart enough to lay in the ample shady spots. I had to move them. I think I’ll block them from those areas.

This is what I do for hot birds, not sure it would work with CX tho.
Might want to rethink your meat bird scheduling.

Deep all day shade is best but....
I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

It's just best to avoid these birds in hot weather. Period! They won't try to get to the water, true, they will sit in the sun and die.
If you have to raise meat type birds in warm weather, try the Freedom Rangers instead. They will take longer to processing, so cost more to raise, but are actually more normal, and much more likely to survive your climate!
Otherwise, raise the Cornishx birds in cool weather only.
Mary

This is what I do for hot birds, not sure it would work with CX tho.
Might want to rethink your meat bird scheduling.

Deep all day shade is best but....
I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full
Thank you! I will get that product and start freezing. I’ve got plenty of freezer space currently.

Back
Top Bottom