Pigeon Talk

Thanks for this! I checked and she does have lice. I assume I can use the permethrin dust I have?

We have likely found the owner of the pigeon and he is out of town at the moment. He called it a homing pigeon. I mean, I'm sure she can get back home from short distances, but do people do this with fancy pigeons? He said he recently started letting them out to fly.

Just talked to the owner and he admitted he didn't know a lot about pigeons. He was given this one for free and hasn't had it for very long. Anyway, she is going home tomorrow! 😌
Permethrin based poultry dust is what I use.

Glad you were able to find her owner and she's going home tomorrow.
Happy ending!

Hey, are you going to do a painting of her? If you do, will you show it to us? I love your paintings.

Baby (hatched 4/18) is going to be mostly white with some dark feathers on the top of the head & in the tail. I looked in for a quick check and got this picture of Dad, Mom, and Baby! They were not happy with the home invasion.
IMG_1966.jpeg

If all goes well my other pair will hatch one next week.

StinkyAcres

If you do decide to keep the solo pigeon,,, you can make it a house pigeon. It can be trained to imprint only on you. You can train it to be paper trained as well. One member that has not been active here on this thread in recent times kept a single house pigeon. @Serin has over 500 posts in this thread. Read some of his postings. Very useful advice for keeping a single pigeon. If you have difficulty finding posts,, I can direct you how to do such.

StinkyAcres

If you do decide to keep the solo pigeon,,, you can make it a house pigeon. It can be trained to imprint only on you. You can train it to be paper trained as well. One member that has not been active here on this thread in recent times kept a single house pigeon. @Serin has over 500 posts in this thread. Read some of his postings. Very useful advice for keeping a single pigeon. If you have difficulty finding posts,, I can direct you how to do such.
Thanks! I didn't know they could be paper trained. I have decided not to keep her for multiple reasons, including concerns about avian viruses and the fact that I don't have a suitable enclosure for her. I'm not a fan of caged animals in the house. She is back home with her pigeon friends now.

Painted the pigeon (named her Pancake) in watercolor in my sketchbook today. Thanks for the idea! Her iridescent feathers were fun to capture!

View attachment 3822779
Wow! She really looks a lot like a Portuguese Tumbler now without the scale!
That irridescence is amazing!
I can speculate all day, of course, but as to breed, I suspect she is a pet quality Portuguese Tumber so on the larger side.

Back
Top Bottom