Plants and toys for quails?

npiet1

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2020
I've got a pair of quails, just wondering what plants (to hide) can you put in their cage? Fake or real?
Any toy's they like? Mirrors, bridges, etc
Can/Do they use a mouse wheel or rat tunnels?

what kind of cage do you have? We have a tote box and sometimes we put old grass clippings in the tote and make it into a kind of cave. It doesn't last very long but our quails love it.
We also have a pen. We have a cat litter box without the flap for a hidey hut/sandpit.
We also give them kale leaves and stick them through the top of it and crocodile clip it to the top.
They like shiny things like tiny bells to peck. just make sure they don't eat it.

what kind of cage do you have?

It's about 2ft x 1ft. It's a guninea pig cage.

@npiet1 If you are to put real plants in there make sure they are safe for quails because they will eat them.

Here's a link to a list of safe and toxic plants for birds
http://www.finchinfo.com/housing/safe_and_toxic_plants.php
It's not specifically for quails, but you can apply it for them anyway :)

Yeah I'm not sure yet as the substrate isn't deep enough for roots. Maybe a potato planter with a pot inside.

I have mine like this. They have a log, a tree branch with fake ivy wrapped around, they also have 1 toy in there atm. May give you some ideas . Today they have knocked the branch over so I need to put it back how it was. The cage is 6ft long but I can make it 8 if I take the divider board out.

IMG_20200419_164501855_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200419_164614870.jpg

I have mine like this. They have a log, a tree branch with fake ivy wrapped around, they also have 1 toy in there atm. May give you some ideas . Today they have knocked the branch over so I need to put it back how it was. The cage is 6ft long but I can make it 8 if I take the divider board out.

View attachment 2105251

View attachment 2105252

That looks lovely! those quails must be happy there. Do you have a dust bathing box in there?

Back
Top Bottom