please help! Transitioning an imprinted 1-month old duck away from me

I wouldn’t feel comfortable taking him knowing they were just going to plop him in with others without letting him and them get used to each other. So I guess I’d wait. Any idea why your goose doesn’t like the duckling? Any chance you could do a see no touch there and keep the duck? I know it’s not always that easy to make extra accommodations. I am by no means an expert just going by my own experiences. My goose who is 12 yrs old lost her mate in 2022 I moved her in with the Runners and Buffs so she wouldn’t be alone. She accepted them as her flock this past summer 2023 my Muscovy hatched 2 Runner ducklings the mama stayed with them until they were 5 weeks I old then for some reason my goose took over and these were 2 drakes she had them both until about a month ago when I rehome one and let the lone one in with the flock I already had 1 Runner drake and 3 was might too much but even after I let the Runner drake and my goose Missy in with everyone he still hangs with her too but he now has his own girls and his dad has his of course they switch off and on too. But I am telling you this so that maybe given time you goose would accept the duckling if they were kept close but separate for a time?

Last edited:
I wouldn’t feel comfortable taking him knowing they were just going to plop him in with others without letting him and them get used to each other. So I guess I’d wait. Any idea why your goose doesn’t like the duckling? Any chance you could do a see no touch there and keep the duck? I know it’s not always that easy to make extra accommodations. I am by no means an expert just going by my own experiences. My goose who is 12 yrs old lost her mate in 2022 I moved her in with the Runners and Buffs so she wouldn’t be alone. She accepted them as her flock this past summer 2023 my Muscovy hatched 2 Runner ducklings the mama stayed with them until they were 5 weeks I old then for some reason my goose took over and these were 2 drakes she had them both until about a month ago when I rehome one and let the lone one in with the flock I already had 1 Runner drake and 3 was might too much but even after I let the Runner drake and my goose Missy in with everyone he still hangs with her too but he now has his own girls and his dad has his of course they switch off and on too. But I am telling you this so that maybe given time you goose would accept the duckling if they were kept close but separate for a time?
thank you for your response. It makes me feel better.

This week I am having a friend come to construct a separate space for the duck outside, next to the geese. It is a little difficult because I am a renter, and the landlord lives next door. She's been tolerate of my other 6 pets (dog, cats, geese) ... so I guess I will see what happens. I would love to keep the duck, honestly. But I know I cannot get it a mate, as in, another duck. And that is why I am considering rehoming it.

Now I am resisting the urge to pick it up and cuddle it, like I have been doing. I want it to be more duck-y and less human-y. :) Of course, if I keep Lucky the Duck (yes, it has a name!)... it will be very very well loved!

again, thank you for your input. It makes a difference. :)

Keep us updated. All my birds that will let me I pick up and cuddle they are my pets and I Love them. Hopefully once Lucky the Duck has been around the geese he/ she will still like your attention but also like being around other waterfowl. Do you know sex yet? Is it quacking/honking at all?

It concerns me that the groundskeeper wouldn’t let you visit at all. Is there a different pets who could adopt your duckling and would be more willing to let you visit? I have rehomed some rescue calves and I always requested that I be allowed to visit the calves in their new homes. The new owners always happily agreed.

Keep us updated. All my birds that will let me I pick up and cuddle they are my pets and I Love them. Hopefully once Lucky the Duck has been around the geese he/ she will still like your attention but also like being around other waterfowl. Do you know sex yet? Is it quacking/honking at all?
I do not know the sex yet. No quacking. Pretty quiet for the most part. Perfectly content to be in the next room, sitting in front of the mirror, knowing I am just around the corner. But if I go "too far" I hear the "alert" sound of three sharps chirps on repeat. Other than that, Lucky will make sweet little chirpy sounds when happy. :) I will do the best I can to provide the best life for this duck. And if that means that it is with me, then I will accommodate. :)

It concerns me that the groundskeeper wouldn’t let you visit at all. Is there a different pets who could adopt your duckling and would be more willing to let you visit? I have rehomed some rescue calves and I always requested that I be allowed to visit the calves in their new homes. The new owners always happily agreed.
thanks. It concerns me too. I will have the option to bring Lucky when I decide... but I agree, the "drop off and don't come back" feels weird. Granted it is the private residence of a multi-millionarie, so they probably don't want a random woman on the grounds "just to visit a duck" ;-)

I checked out several options. No one I have found has the desire or set-up to care for this duck. Many ducks here are on farms, and are just next in line to be eaten!

@joya250 how are things going with your duckling?
Good morning and thanks for asking. :) Lucky Duck is currently on my feet. I have decided to keep him (her)... or do the best I can. The outdoor cage is 1/4 of the way built... and should be completed by Wednesday. Meanwhile, I am loving and caring for this rapidly growing -- and very sweet -- little baby!

That made me laugh, made me think of my boy and how much I loved him, he was my baby.
It's wonderful your going to keep him and are building him his outdoor cage. Pictures when you can.

Back
Top Bottom