Poison on roosters' spurs????

BaGAWK!!

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 25, 2011
Philadelphia, TN
Oooookaay....I went to look at s guy's chickens who informed me that roosters have prison in their spurs. That's why it hurts so bad when they flog you. He said, "I would know, the doctor said he would have to remove my leg after I for spurred in the knee...". And then he showed me the scars. Um. No. Really??

And I believed him for maybe 1, 2 seconds...this is not true. Is it?

Maybe the bacteria living on the rooster's spurs is the culprit. Who knows what our chickens put their feet in while scratching in the dirt. Just like some folks are susceptible to the bacteria found in cat's claws.

Yea, it's the bacteria *on the spurs, the toenails, the beak, cat's claws.....you get the picture. Spurs have the ability to send that bacteria deeper than toenails because they're longer & sharper. Instead of using the word "poison" he should've used "bacteria". But I suppose for someone with battle scars he can use whatever term he wants lol

I suspected it was the bacteria his dr. was referring to also, I offered that up as an explanation and he said, No, it was POISON!! Too funny.

BaGAWK!! :

I suspected it was the bacteria his dr. was referring to also, I offered that up as an explanation and he said, No, it was POISON!! Too funny.

I bet it sure felt like poison in his leg lol​

Any puncture wound can become infected very fast as it close up fast leaving the toxins trapped in the wound and that is where the infection comes into play and can spread very fast.
That is why it is good to have a wound bleed a bit when ya have been injured by something so it your blood can flush it out.

I was bitten by a spider several years ago that caused an infection in my system from the infected wound and was literally at deaths door.

Roosters are not poisonous. I've heard the same thing about cats, that they have poison in their claws or in their teeth. It isn't true. They do, however, carry bacteria that can infect a wound.

Well, the male platypus have venomous spurs on their rear legs, but chicken roosters definitely don't have poisonous spurs!

Edit: Wrote poisonous instead of venomous. When a toxic substance is injected like through spines and fangs, it is venomous. When toxic substances coat the outside of an organism, like their skin or on leaves, it is poisonous.

Last edited:
BaGAWK!! :

Oooookaay....I went to look at s guy's chickens who informed me that roosters have prison in their spurs. That's why it hurts so bad when they flog you. He said, "I would know, the doctor said he would have to remove my leg after I for spurred in the knee...". And then he showed me the scars. Um. No. Really??

And I believed him for maybe 1, 2 seconds...this is not true. Is it?

I think he was pulling your leg...........that spur is just like a long, sharp fingernail, dead on the very end with vessels down deep in it. Sure you could get cellulitis from it, but so could you from its beak or a hens toenails.​

Maybe he confused roosters with a platypus.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom