Pot sizes for growing vegetables in containers

Pics

drewskimac

Songster
6 Years
Oct 7, 2014
Siloam Springs, AR
Hi all,

This year I have set up a container garden on my back deck.

It currently consists of 5 seven gallon fabric containers, and 5 twenty gallon fabric containers.

I'm beginning to think that I might have overdone it on the 20 gallon containers and will just be wasting soil and space.... What do you all think? What vegetables would be good to grow in a 20 gallon, getting the best utilization of the space? The research that I have done has mostly leaned towards using 5-10 gallon containers for tomatoes, peppers and eggplants - the larger veggie plants. However, what I am seeing about 20 gallon containers is growing multiple plants in one container.

Which plants could I grow multiple of in a container?

I really want to grow potatoes, jalapenos, okra, tomatoes and possibly squash in the 20 gallon containers. In the 7 gallon containers i'm growing green onions, carrots (and seeking suggestions for the others)

Thank you all in advance. I have a drip irrigation system, running 1 dripper to each 7gal pot, and 2 drippers to each 20gal pots, if that helps.

WOW! The 20 gallon ones are HUGE compared to what I use.

I grow carrots in pots of hat are 10-12 inches in diameter and 12-18 inches deep. I get to control the soil that way and sift out any sticks or rock that would hamper growth. I harvest in my wheelbarrow then amend, sift and refill.

I would think you could do 4-5 jalapenos in a 20 gallon with room in between for radish or lettuce.
Zucchini and summer squash take a lot of surface area. Their roots aren't super deep but those leaves are huge. That and they tend to be hungry plants.

I may see if I can grow a decent one in a 5 gallon pot this year just for fun. I have grown them in the half barrel planters and they definitely covered the entire top of it.

WOW! The 20 gallon ones are HUGE compared to what I use.

I grow carrots in pots of hat are 10-12 inches in diameter and 12-18 inches deep. I get to control the soil that way and sift out any sticks or rock that would hamper growth. I harvest in my wheelbarrow then amend, sift and refill.

I would think you could do 4-5 jalapenos in a 20 gallon with room in between for radish or lettuce.
Zucchini and summer squash take a lot of surface area. Their roots aren't super deep but those leaves are huge. That and they tend to be hungry plants.

I may see if I can grow a decent one in a 5 gallon pot this year just for fun. I have grown them in the half barrel planters and they definitely covered the entire top of it.
Thank you! I was wondering about growing multiple jalapeños, but I was unsure of whether or not they would have room to grow (width wise). I may just give it a shot.

Thank you! I was wondering about growing multiple jalapeños, but I was unsure of whether or not they would have room to grow (width wise). I may just give it a shot.

I always plant 3 jalapenos in each of my half barrel planters.
They get about 3-4 feet tall (above the planter) depending on variety. I use the small 34" tomato cages to support them. I get better pollination with 3 per pot than when I was doing 1 per pot.
All my carrot pots are recycled pots from small shrubs or large flowers and I think those 10" pots would do well for peppers too.
This year I plan to have every available pot filled with something. I am hoping for a great gardening year.

Hi all,

This year I have set up a container garden on my back deck.

It currently consists of 5 seven gallon fabric containers, and 5 twenty gallon fabric containers.

I'm beginning to think that I might have overdone it on the 20 gallon containers and will just be wasting soil and space.... What do you all think? What vegetables would be good to grow in a 20 gallon, getting the best utilization of the space? The research that I have done has mostly leaned towards using 5-10 gallon containers for tomatoes, peppers and eggplants - the larger veggie plants. However, what I am seeing about 20 gallon containers is growing multiple plants in one container.

Which plants could I grow multiple of in a container?

I really want to grow potatoes, jalapenos, okra, tomatoes and possibly squash in the 20 gallon containers. In the 7 gallon containers i'm growing green onions, carrots (and seeking suggestions for the others)

Thank you all in advance. I have a drip irrigation system, running 1 dripper to each 7gal pot, and 2 drippers to each 20gal pots, if that helps.

Hello fellow Razorback.... :) I should have some time later today to dig into it deeper, but last summer I purchased a book on Amazon called The Vegetable Gardener's Container Bible by Edward C. Smith. It was a really good book and highly rated. It talked about self-watering containers (which is why I bought it) but also had a TON of information about great companion planting options for containers. I've got a meeting for work in a few minutes, but afterwards, I'll go pull out the book and send you screenshots of some ideas around what you are looking to grow....

I always plant 3 jalapenos in each of my half barrel planters.
They get about 3-4 feet tall (above the planter) depending on variety. I use the small 34" tomato cages to support them. I get better pollination with 3 per pot than when I was doing 1 per pot.
All my carrot pots are recycled pots from small shrubs or large flowers and I think those 10" pots would do well for peppers too.
This year I plan to have every available pot filled with something. I am hoping for a great gardening year.
Wow! Thank you. Do you use one cage for each plant, or a cage for all 3? May sound like a silly question. Maybe I’ll take a pic of the pots tonight to share with you all for reference.

Hello fellow Razorback.... :) I should have some time later today to dig into it deeper, but last summer I purchased a book on Amazon called The Vegetable Gardener's Container Bible by Edward C. Smith. It was a really good book and highly rated. It talked about self-watering containers (which is why I bought it) but also had a TON of information about great companion planting options for containers. I've got a meeting for work in a few minutes, but afterwards, I'll go pull out the book and send you screenshots of some ideas around what you are looking to grow....
Wooo pig! I would love to see some shots of that book, I will look into it myself. Thank you, look forward to hearing from you!

Back
Top Bottom