Q: Diatomaceous earth: Sprinkle on ground or add to feed?

Purina

Official BYC Sponsor
Official BYC Sponsor
5 Years
Nov 11, 2014
A: Diatomaceous earth (DE) is a hot topic in the backyard chicken world! DE can be a useful tool for backyard chickens – if it’s used properly.

DE works best outside of the animal. DE works by scratching the shell of parasites. Those scratches cause the parasites (lice, mites) to dehydrate and die. Research doesn’t show that DE in feed is effective at controlling internal parasites. The biggest reason is going to be a lack of friction. DE works great outside of an animal because it is dry and there is lots of friction. The inside of an animal is a much more fluid environment, so it is more difficult for the DE to scratch the internal parasites. There may be a small benefit when the DE passes through the animal into the manure and the ground, but it would be much easier to just sprinkle the DE on the ground than to feed it to the animal.

There is no negative impact to feeding DE to birds as long as you are using food-grade DE (never use pool-grade DE). Since there are very few ingredients that can be added to organic feed to help with the health of the birds, we choose to add it to Purina Organic feeds. The conventional line of feed does not contain DE because we are able to use ingredients that help support the health of the birds. Whichever feed you choose, we recommend including DE in your chicken’s dust bath to help control external parasites.

Learn more tips for keeping your flock comfortable and peaceful.

PAN_flock-Dustbath.jpg

After I clean the old bedding out I spread DE over the floor of my coop, then put a fresh bag of Coop Klean over it. The chickens will stir it all together as they love scratching through the CK. The DE keeps down mites, fleas and other pests, the powdered zeolite in the Coop Klean neutralizes the ammonia from any poop and everybody is happy.

After I clean the old bedding out I spread DE over the floor of my coop, then put a fresh bag of Coop Klean over it. The chickens will stir it all together as they love scratching through the CK. The DE keeps down mites, fleas and other pests, the powdered zeolite in the Coop Klean neutralizes the ammonia from any poop and everybody is happy.
You use Koop Klean?!Me to!

I have never found DE to be good for anything. People I have talked to were just about evenly divided that it was great, or it was useless. I think some people experience the' placebo effect' and nothing more.

I totally disagree , if you could smell my barn with de under the straw and without ?? It's shocking the amount of moisture de absorbs and the amount of stink it eliminates.

Soo I use it in my coop on top of the sand every week or so , just a light dusting in nesting boxes and perches.

I also use it for mite/lice out breaks

You use Koop Klean?!Me to!

I have been using Sweet PDZ in my brooder and plan to use it when I move my little ones to the coop (hopefully within a week!!!). It's about $9 for a 25 pound bag and it is zeolite with nothing added. I use the granular kind---it says "Stall Refresher" on the bag and has a pic of a foal on it.
What is the difference between Koop Klean and PDZ, if any? How much does the Koop Klean and how many pounds in a package?
Thank you for any help here---newbie and always open to suggestions and tips! :)

I have been using Sweet PDZ in my brooder and plan to use it when I move my little ones to the coop (hopefully within a week!!!). It's about $9 for a 25 pound bag and it is zeolite with nothing added. I use the granular kind---it says "Stall Refresher" on the bag and has a pic of a foal on it.
What is the difference between Koop Klean and PDZ, if any? How much does the Koop Klean and how many pounds in a package?
Thank you for any help here---newbie and always open to suggestions and tips! :)
Coop Kleen is basically short cut hay with powdered zeolite mixed in. think of it as odorless bedding.

The stall refresher is just granulated zeolite, nothing more. I use it in my poop trays. It takes five minutes with a kitty litter scoop each afternoon to clean both trays.

The zeolite is a volcanic mineral that chemically bonds with the nitrogen in the ammonia (NH3), locking it up. The ammonia eventually breaks down into it's component nitrogen and hydrogen, both of which are odorless and harmless gasses.

Back
Top Bottom