Rooster not crowing. Why?

wxdb23

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 4, 2014
I have a RIR rooster which is about 5 months old. Is it unusual for a rooster to go this long without crowing yet?

welcome-byc.gif
If there is another dominant rooster in the flock, this may be keeping the cockerel from crowing. Apparently the presence of a dominant rooster may suppress testosterone levels in subordinates.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

First, are you sure that it is a rooster?

Some roosters start crowing early, while others don't crow for months. I've had some start at 6 weeks, while others have waited until about 4 months old. If you have other roosters, a submissive rooster usually doesn't crow much/at all be cause it is subordinate and doesn't want to arouse the dominant one.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Yes, it is a little unusual for a rooster to not crow by this age. However, it is not unheard of. Do you have any other roosters? One thing that can prevent crowing for a long time is if a rooster is not dominant. If he isn't the dominant male, a rooster usually doesn't crow much, if at all.

If you have no other male chickens, then your bird might just be a quiet rooster--lucky you! Either that, or it is actually a hen.
smile.png

Thanks everyone! I actually do have another rooster and he runs the show. I've never thought of the young one not crowing because he is not the dominant one, but it makes a lot of sense because the older rooster definitely shows his dominance!

I have a welsummer that is 5 months old and have not heard a crow from him . Will he stay quiet ? He's the only male. But was introduced last in a flock of ten. Is it possible the hens have placed him on the lower rung of the pecking order?

Okay here is my 5 month old Americana. Everyone has told me she is a he and he did crow 3 times when he was little but ever since i put him outside with other chickens he has not crowed since

I think this is a French wheaten Maran (was sold as a Salmon Favorelle pullet) and everyone says it’s a roo but it’s now about 17 weeks old and has never crowed, also I have no other roosters.

Attachments

• IMG_6870.jpeg
    IMG_6870.jpeg
    950.5 KB · Views: 35
I have a 20 week old spitzhauben rooster and a 20 week old Owlbeard. They have 13 hens, 4 of which are older. We had 3 other roosters we recently culled, those 3 were crowing frequently. The 2 remaining I have not yet heard crow. Will this change?

Back
Top Bottom