Rough / Sandpaper Eggs

hillaryg

Hatching
Mar 20, 2016
California
My six mo old red sex link has been laying these sandpaper eggs for seven days in a row. I have done some research but can't figure out what is going on. I read that it could be taking longer to go through her system and more calcium is attaching to the eggs but she is laying everyday at around the same time so I don't think that's the reason.
I don't think it has to do with her food. She has access to clean water and food. Are these okay to eat?

Those are extra calcium deposits, they are safe to eat, it could be a temporary glitch, or if you are feeding layer ration it could be too much calcium in her diet, that's one reason I don't feed layer anymore, I feed an All Flock with a separate bowl of oyster shells so the hens can self regulate their calcium intake. I haven't seen any odd shelled eggs since.

HI
I have seen and had this situation many times with my 40+ years experience of keeping chickens.
-To begin with your eggs are perfectly fine to eat.
- About the egg shell you call sandpaper eggs is very common. Your chickens are young yet or maybe you just have 1 or 2.
not sure of your situation. This happens when your chickens begins laying and it is neither related to the food or water that you provide them.
It is primarily due to the chickens inability to control the intake of calcium that her system can process, resulting in excess calcium deposits I see on your eggs. This is not really a defect in the bird but more a learning curve for her digestive system that is not yet developed enough. I have found it really takes about 1 year for this to correct it's self, and it will. Just be patient and enjoy your eggs.....
TNX
Barry...(Farmer Sparky)

Back
Top Bottom