Safe lawn fertilizer

djswett

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Bend, OR.
So, i keep reading how the chicken poop is gonna do wonders for our yard. We have a tractor/coop that we move around every day to distribute the droppings throughout the backyard evenly, but regardless, our lawn is dying!
It's the middle of summer here in the Oregon high dessert, with temps up in the high 90's, and we think that the back lawn is in need of some extra fertilizer and care. Does anyone know of a chicken safe approach to this problem?

There might be but I wouldn't take the chance. But I try to be as chemical free as possible not just for my critters sake but mine too. I would take the dead lawn before I spread anything other than manure or water. Just me.

I agree with the other posts. I compost my chicken manure. Chicken manure is the richest animal manure in N-P-K. Chicken manure is considered "hot" and must be composted before adding it to the garden, etc. Otherwise, it may burn any plants it comes in contact with. I use Gardens Alive fertilizer. I just move my run and yard fence to a different place and fert. I have ferted an area where I was moving my birds too but watered the area good where I ferted for several days before I moved the birds there. I have seen no ill effect in the birds.

www.milorganite.com

I have used this on my pasture which has horses, goats, and chickens on it. I spoke with the company before trying it. They say it is completely safe. I had no problems with it and that was months ago.

Donna

Wouldn't it be better to wait until cooler weather to fertilize?? The middle of very hot dry summer is not the best time.

Remember that lawns are SUPPOSED to dial back their growth, maybe even brown out somewhat, during the hottest dryest weather. That is normal and proper and not something needing to be fiddled with.

When and if you do fertilize (you're using a mulching mower, right, and leaving the clippings on the lawn? If not, do, that'll greatly decrease your fertilizer needs) either use something 'organic' and chickensafe, or if you use a normal Sack O Fertilizer From The Store make sure it has gotten watered in really, really well and leave it for a few days thereafter -- if the chickens can find any fertilizer granules and eat them, you can wind up with dead chickens.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Most lawns need a shot of fertilizer in the spring to get rolling, another midway through the summer and a winterizer in the fall for optimal growth and greening. However I doubt that your problem is a lack of fertilizer.

Here in South Texas we've had an unprecedented drought. Our lawns are having trouble in this heat, but the heat is an indirect cause of the main problems; Insects. Most plants when stressed are more vulnerable to insects and diseases. We have a chinch bug problems in our lawn. I use a Bayer product to keep them at bay and have the healthiest lawn in the neighborhood.

Is your browning patchy or even? If you have a local nursery you might take some plugs from the brown areas and plugs from the green and border areas for diagnosis. (Roots and all)

If it's been hot and dry. Watering the lawn will do wonders.

My lawn was full of weeds. (Which is great for keeping it green looking mid summer when it's hot and dry here)

But since the chickens have been free ranging in the yard. My grass is growing in a beautiful Dark Lush green and choking out the weeds.

I was thinking earlier this year before the chicken adventure started. That I would need to redo the whole yard. Bring in a small bobcat and new sod.

But I have been filling in the uneven ground with my compost soil, and throwing a little seed down, allowing the chickens to free range. It's becoming very lush and beautiful.

I just make sure I water if we do not get a lot of rain as I think the Chicken droppings will burn the grass as it's not been composted..

Back
Top Bottom