Sexing at tractor supply?

Duckfarmer1

Crowing
Jul 23, 2019
Kane,Pa
We were at aHalloween Park event today and I was telling this farmer friend how 5 of our 7 pullets are cockerels from tractor supply..meant to just be a funny tidbit. But he got very serious and sai. I can’t believe YOU don’t know how to sex them as chicks. You see I’m good with sexing ducks..usually.sometimes...maybe..lol..but clearly have no clue with chicks..he said you turn them over somehow..which is kind of obvious? Any tips for next time?

There are lots of purported ways to sex chicks, and it can vary greatly by breed. Some are just old wives tales. Sexing is more art than science to some degree and no one is always %100 correct, unless you buy sex linked birds. Even buying sexed pullets (not sex linked) results in some accidental cockerels. But if you got 5 out of 7 that was more than likely a straight run group, always lots of cockerels in there.

There are lots of purported ways to sex chicks, and it can vary greatly by breed. Some are just old wives tales. Sexing is more art than science to some degree and no one is always %100 correct, unless you buy sex linked birds. Even buying sexed pullets (not sex linked) results in some accidental cockerels. But if you got 5 out of 7 that was more than likely a straight run group, always lots of cockerels in there.
I think that’s why they were reduced to a dime. Lol

The price was right!!!
Farm stores are notorious for mixing chicks up, breed, sex, age, whatever, and it does help to have some idea what you are actually buying when you go there. And, plan on many more 'suprises' than you would like to have.
The better hatcheries are more likely to send the right birds, although not always. At least they will refund money, or ship the correct chicks later. Given the thousands of chicks handled daily at those places, they do very well.
This years we got two unplanned cockerels out of 35 chicks from Cackle hatchery. Not terrible, and it happens.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom