Sexing Geese by Behavior?

Epona142

Songster
11 Years
Apr 19, 2008
Bedias, TX
I have a trio of Toulouse geese, who I am very fond of. They were born in late Spring of last year (best guess).

I have been terribly unsuccessful at vent sexing, so I thought perhaps if I shared my observations, I could get opinions on the sexes I believe them to be.

The presumed females: two of them are smaller and carry their heads at a normal angle. They run away from me as fast as their legs can go if I go near them.

the presumed male: holds his head high and talks a LOT to me. Doesn't run away at all, I can even pet him. Follows me around the pens, but will hiss at husband and even try to bite. A good smack on his bill doesn't even make him run away.

So, do you think I'm right on about the sexes? Or do I have a very bold female, shy males, a mix of the above, or no idea!
tongue.png

When mine were little, the male would talk my leg off, following me everywhere, saying "yippity yip yip yip"...it was so adorable.
smile.png

Later it turned into honks and hisses. My female is not as vocal and has a huskier voice and doesn't hiss, or at least I've not heard her do so.

Quote:
Oh please, PLEASE don't say ONLY the males hiss! Both my rescued geese hiss, only one a TON more than the other, but they both do it.

I can only hope I have a pair. They act polar opposite, so I hoped for a male and female.

The one I assume is female, always puts the other goose between me and her. "She" is much quieter than the other and will sometimes walk with her head to her breast, almost like a "come hither" motion. "She" mouths the other goose when "he" eats too much of the food. "She'll" only hiss at rare moments, a tiny lil hiss when she feels threatened or cornered, and that's it.

"He" is much more noisy, not too timid to come within arm's reach. Walks with his neck stretched out and always way up high or out in front. "He" hisses and talks the most, and is laid back when it comes to the other goose, but she mouthed him so much one day, he latched onto her and flogged her with his wings. I guess "she" just pushed him too far.

hmm.png
Man, I hope I have a male and female pair and not just a couple of males.
roll.png

-Kim

Last edited:
Wolf- Kim
Females do hiss. At least my buffs do. Not as often as the males but they will hiss if they feel threatened and can't get away- or if they're on a nest.

It sounds like you may very well have a pair. It's so hard to tell with geese though. I've even tried my hand and tipping them over to see what they are- they look pretty much alike to me.

You'll know for sure when one lays an egg that you have a female though.
big_smile.png

Quote:
LOL. Thanks. I was hoping I had a pair, guess I will find out in the next couple of months, hm?
roll.png

-Kim

Although I think your right, my Seb Zeena (who lays eggs) will hiss and also is the matriarch of the flock. She almost always takes the lead of the flock and leads them to feeding and in at night etc. I hatched her and she was an only goose for her first 9 months. Just bossy I guess! The ganders all fly to her defense if any duck, dog or chicken approaches her.

Thanks for the information, everyone! I'm really hoping I have a trio, but I guess we will see come spring, right? I NEED to get them a deeper pool so that they have a better chance of breeding.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom