Silkie chick born with white/pink beak? Red comb?

jermajay

Chirping
May 20, 2021
I had a few silkie chicks born with white beaks. Does this mean they will have red combs when older? The chicks range from white to black (or looks black, probably blue). One roo had a very red comb, and the other two were a dark red, almost black. Mums all had black combs.

I had a few silkie chicks born with white beaks. Does this mean they will have red combs when older? The chicks range from white to black (or looks black, probably blue). One roo had a very red comb, and the other two were a dark red, almost black. Mums all had black combs.
Check their skin color. If the skin is not black, then it is very possible their combs will be red. It would also indicate that they are cross breeds and not pure silkie. Also, check the number of toes. Silkies have five toes while other breeds have four on each foot. Crosses often have odd numbers of toes; both feet with four or one foot with four and the other with five.

Check their skin color. If the skin is not black, then it is very possible their combs will be red. It would also indicate that they are cross breeds and not pure silkie. Also, check the number of toes. Silkies have five toes while other breeds have four on each foot. Crosses often have odd numbers of toes; both feet with four or one foot with four and the other with five.
They've got pink skin but 5 toes. Their mum could be Australorp x Leghorn. One of the babies is splash too so that would make sense. What age would you expect to know for sure they're xs?

They've got pink skin but 5 toes. Their mum could be Australorp x Leghorn. One of the babies is splash too so that would make sense. What age would you expect to know for sure they're xs?
You will know if they are crosses because they will have smooth feathers. You can usually tell by looking at their wings at 6 days of age.😊
E0C01A9F-5D2B-488F-81B6-C47AE9AA784B.jpeg

Smooth feathered Silkie cross

You will know if they are crosses because they will have smooth feathers. You can usually tell by looking at their wings at 6 days of age.😊View attachment 2989098
My two are definitely cross breds then! They were born on the 5th and look mostly like that photo. I'm excited to see what they look like, although I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep them if they're roosters.

You will know if they are crosses because they will have smooth feathers. You can usually tell by looking at their wings at 6 days of age.😊View attachment 2989098
This is true to a point, but a silkie paired to another silkied feather bird would have cross chicks with silkied feathering. The same would be true of a cross where one had a recessive gene for silkied feathering paired to a silkie. I have a silkied rooster outside where both smooth feathered parents carried the silkied gene; a unique looking phoenix cross-long tail, crest, feathered legs, and silkied feathering who has a silkie grandmother.

This is true to a point, but a silkie paired to another silkied feather bird would have cross chicks with silkied feathering. The same would be true of a cross where one had a recessive gene for silkied feathering paired to a silkie. I have a silkied rooster outside where both smooth feathered parents carried the silkied gene; a unique looking phoenix cross-long tail, crest, feathered legs, and silkied feathering who has a silkie grandmother.
Sorry I should’ve clarified I meant F1 crosses, which is what I understood the OP has.😊
Would love to see a photo of your Phoenix cross.
I breed Polkies. My second generation chicks are about 50/50 for the smooth or silkied feathers.

Edited for spelling.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom