Silkie Color Genetics - Exhaustive List

mlowarren

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey everyone! I have been looking all over for an exhaustive list on silkie color crossing, but I'm having no luck! Do you think we could make one??? If you breed silkies, please post what you know about what possible colors result from crossing any 2 parent colors! For instance, all I know right now is that white x white = white

Thanks in advance for your input! Hopefully we can eventually have a complete list of all possible color crosses!!!

Last edited:
cheat-sheet, short-cut...whatever you want to call it
wink.png

Quote:
Sometime white X white doesn't = white, if one of the birds has the receive white gene, then you can get any number of colors when you don't expect it

blackdotte a member here, has written somthing on genetics or know something about it

Hmm this Exhaustive List isn't going to happen if I don't get some participation from someone other than Negative Nancy...

TurtleFeathers, is it just me or is that calculator in another language? I don't understand a bit of it - even the parts that are in English!

Buck Creek Chickens, what is a receive white gene? Anyway, I'm trying to base this list off of our collective experiences in breeding chickens. So far, all of my white x white crosses have = white, so...until someone else has another concrete outcome, we'll leave it at white x white = white. Have you bred 2 white Silkies and turned up anything other than white?

HA! I'd like to see that list myself! And yes that calculator is written in a foreign language.....I sure can't handle it.

I'm thinking though that maybe if you some particular colors in mind to cross or that you wanted to achieve maybe someone could help you...maybe if you sort of narrow it down a little???

Hope you get the answers you are looking for...[so I can read them too]

Firstly the colour genetics of Silkies are no different than any other breed/variety of chicken.
There are several genotypes that can produce a white bird and these when inter-mated can produce chickens that are not white. Ie Cross a Dominant White bird with a Recessive White bird, or either with an Albino White bird.
Unless you know the exact genotype of every bird you can not explicitly state what you will get because White can mask many different colours and patterns.
David

Quote:
Agreed, although dominant white silkies are pretty uncommon, so white x white is almost always going to give you white--if it doesn't, then you know that one of the parents is dominant white.

Also if you cross a white to a non-white, the results are not predictable. Each white can give different results.

I guess I should have worded my question differently. Let's see if this helps...

To anyone who breeds Silkies and is willing to contribute your experiences: Please post the colors that you cross/have crossed and what resulting colors you have come up with. I understand that in genetics, a lot of different things are possible, but I'm asking for other peoples' experiences, not genetic theory.

Thanks
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom