Soft Eggs and Aging

nightwing1

Chirping
Jul 11, 2021
MN
Hi All. I've got a three year old Leghorn I got as a chick from Tractor Supply who, after laying almost daily for two and half years, has started slowing down. Part of "slowing down" for her is only laying soft eggs about every 4 days and eating them. My girls are pets and while the eggs are nice, I'm less concerned with getting eggs from her at this point as I am her health, getting egg bound, or an egg breaking inside of her. My flock eats a layer feed, has access to oyster shell and they get fly grubs as a treat daily. I also occasionally give them Nutri Drench-infused water when our MN weather is at either extremes. She's the top hen in the flock, so she's not getting bullied, and isn't molting. She hasn't had any changes in her activity level, appetite, or attitude. I seem to recall the first generation of our mixed flock just gradually stopped laying without any complications. Any ideas for supplements or strategies to ease her into post-laying life without health risks? Also, since she seems to ignore the free standing stuff, is there any reason why I can't mix in the oyster shell with the layer feed?

Thanks for any input! Ghost is sort of my gateway chicken and atypically cuddly as a Leghorn, so she's pretty special to me :)

Attachments

• 345212271_6322287694481581_1657991049005182249_n.jpg
    345212271_6322287694481581_1657991049005182249_n.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 132
I don't see any reason why you couldn't mix the oyster shells in with her food. As for making it easier for her, I'd say that just letting her stop on her own is gonna be your best bet. Obviously still keep an eye out for any issues, but I think letting her do it by herself may be best.

When you say mixing oyster shell into the feed, are you talking about strictly for her consumption, or for the entire flock? You should only treat the bird(s) that need it. Other birds should not be forced to intake extra calcium.

Best options to supplement are:
1) isolate her for a private breakfast. 2-3x a week serve a small bowl (like 1 Tbsp is fine) of wet or fermented feed with oyster shell mixed in. If she does not like chunks of oyster shell, crush it up or use the powdery remnants from bottom of the bag. Should only take her minutes to eat and after that she's free to go.
2) give her calcium citrate + vit D tablets or pills.

Assuming her issue is simply insufficient calcium intake, you should see results in a week or two, and you can try reducing it to 1-2x a week and should hopefully continue getting good results.

When you say mixing oyster shell into the feed, are you talking about strictly for her consumption, or for the entire flock? You should only treat the bird(s) that need it. Other birds should not be forced to intake extra calcium.

Best options to supplement are:
1) isolate her for a private breakfast. 2-3x a week serve a small bowl (like 1 Tbsp is fine) of wet or fermented feed with oyster shell mixed in. If she does not like chunks of oyster shell, crush it up or use the powdery remnants from bottom of the bag. Should only take her minutes to eat and after that she's free to go.
2) give her calcium citrate + vit D tablets or pills.

Assuming her issue is simply insufficient calcium intake, you should see results in a week or two, and you can try reducing it to 1-2x a week and should hopefully continue getting good results.
Thank you for these tips! I'm hoping it's just a calcium issue, so I'll start with #1 and monitor.

Back
Top Bottom