Soon-ish to be chicken mom

PrettyCoolChicks

Songster
Mar 18, 2023
British Columbia, Canada
Hi folks! After lurking for a few weeks/month I decided to create an account as I expect I'll have questions of my own that aren't answered by just reading other people's posts. Nice to meet you all and join this community!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I've taken care of other people's chicken for short periods over the last dozen years and I'm finally in a position to get some myself. I plan on hatching some eggs once I'm done building a coop and run. Probably this summer!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
None! Hopefully that changes soon!

(3) What breeds do you have?
Planning to get a mix of Leghorn/Americauna/Orpington/Barred Rock

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
They are endless fun to watch when they're looking for worms in the grass, and they're so curious and playful. They each have different personalities that are fun to figure out.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Gardening and hiking, wildlife watching, painting and knitting when it's too cold to be outside. I'm not very good at any of those but it's fun anyway.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
The chicks this year will be my first "pets". I used to have cats and dogs but have been traveling too much to care for animals of my own. Now that we're settling down a bit more in the countryside, my partner and I are spending as much time as we can in the yard when we're not working our 9 to 5 jobs.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
BYC came up multiple times when I searched anything about chicken, from how to build a coop to keep them safe from predators, what they should eat, to how to hatch and candle eggs... I started looking up answers directly on the forums instead of searching after a while: between finding a lot of relevant information and seeing generally welcoming, helpful and patient replies from the community, I figured this was a nice place to hang out with people who seem as excited about chicken as I am becoming.

Back
Top Bottom