Sour Crop after Antibiotics

edenking48

In the Brooder
Feb 15, 2022
I have a hen that recently got over a respiratory infection after a course of doxycycline. A day or two after I reintroduced her to the flock I noticed that once of my new pullets was pooping blood- I separated her and started everyone else on a preventative dose of Corid. I did a tremendously stupid thing and never have my hen probiotics during or after her antibiotic treatment. Now she has sour crop. First time dealing with this… can I give her a human pre/pro biotic capsule along with other things I have read about to help treat this?

Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bacillus subtilis, and Saccharomyces cerevisiae are some of the strains you'd be looking for if you do give probiotics. If you can't find those in a human form, look for a dog probiotic. Or alternatively order a chicken specific one online. It will help digestion in general, but sour crop most of the time is a yeast based problem and probiotics as far as I know won't do much for that...
Bloody poop can also be a sign of worm infestations, however if it is a new chicken that you introduced, she likely wasn't used to the strains of cocci in your soil. How long ago did you get new pullets?
Hopefully someone with more experience can jump in on the topic?

Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bacillus subtilis, and Saccharomyces cerevisiae are some of the strains you'd be looking for if you do give probiotics. If you can't find those in a human form, look for a dog probiotic. Or alternatively order a chicken specific one online. It will help digestion in general, but sour crop most of the time is a yeast based problem and probiotics as far as I know won't do much for that...
Bloody poop can also be a sign of worm infestations, however if it is a new chicken that you introduced, she likely wasn't used to the strains of cocci in your soil. How long ago did you get new pullets?

Had the nee chicks probably 4-5 weeks now. But they have only been outside and with the others for a couple weeks. We have had a lot of rain lately which I think kicked off all these health issues. The stress of having multiple sick chickens is taking its toll. I want to do my best for each of them.

What do you recommend for the sour crop? Everything I have seen said to give probiotics and ACV to her water- after withholding food and water for 12-24 hours.

Had the nee chicks probably 4-5 weeks now. But they have only been outside and with the others for a couple weeks. We have had a lot of rain lately which I think kicked off all these health issues. The stress of having multiple sick chickens is taking its toll. I want to do my best for each of them.

What do you recommend for the sour crop? Everything I have seen said to give probiotics and ACV to her water- after withholding food and water for 12-24 hours.
Probiotics yes, ACV is a hit and miss, may not do anything at all.
Give this article a read:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Quoting from the above article:
The easiest (and cheapest) to obtain yeast treatment, though, is miconazole, found on the women's hygiene shelf in the pharmacy. You can use either the suppositories or the vaginal cream. Measure a quarter inch of suppository or about half an inch of cream and give orally twice a day for seven days. Do not stop treatment before the full seven days are completed or the yeast may return.

You may see different strengths of miconazole, 2% or 4%, and wonder which to get. Either strength is fine. I prefer the 2% cream myself for economic reasons. The treatment with either strength is the same, twice and day for a full seven days.

Following treatment for sour crop, offer plenty of plain fresh water and boiled egg to get the crop operating again. I like to also give a probiotic or Greek yogurt to restore good microbes in crop and intestines.

Back
Top Bottom