Stretching neck out and gulping?

kara_leigh

Songster
8 Years
May 3, 2011
Bradleyville, MO
My 3.5 week old chick keeps doing this thing where it stretches its neck out, opens its mouth wide, and gulps. It just started doing it today. What could be wrong? It doesn't do it a lot, just a once or twice an hour or so, but enough to notice.

It started doing it a bunch of times in a row, so I got it to take a couple drinks of water and it has stopped for now. I don't know what could be stuck in its crop since it only eats crumbles. Maybe pine shavings, but they are really big (bigger than its mouth) or feathers? It's been preening a lot lately. If it is a serious problem (I hope not, losing two was bad enough) what other signs should I look for?

I had one doing that and when I picked it up the crop was very full and hard. I worried that it might have been eating the bedding (pine shavings and shredded paper) and that it became impacted. I massaged the crop gently until I felt it get softer; tried to move the hard part up and down to spread it out in the whole crop instead of a hard lump at the bottom. That was yesterday--today she is fine.
smile.png

Two things pop into mind immediately... gapeworm (solution Febenazole (spelling may be off)) or MG (no SOLUTION but treated with Tylan or Denagard usually) ---- HOWEVER, that said, your chickie sounds really young for gapeworm.

I would highly suggest you look over the poultrysite's "poultry diseases" pages. I would also isolate this chick - better safe then sorry until you know.

I also could be something simple like a pine chip stuck. See, a gapeworm comes up the throat and lays eggs in the esophogus... this tickles the chickens and then they gape trying to get it out. I imagine if there is a pine chip or somethign of the like stuck it would do the same thing.

Good luck, but without seeing the chick, it's hard for anyone to really know to tell you one thing or another with certainty.

I have read that when chickens do this, they are "adjusting their crop". I catch my young pullets doing it quite often. I used to think maybe it meant they were a rooster and they were trying to crow. hehe

I don't think its crop is impacted, I can't even feel it. Little chick's chest is nice and smooth. It did vomit a clear liquid yesterday, though.

Quote:
The first site that I found about Gapeworm says that chicks up to 8 weeks are most susceptible. My chick is 3.5 weeks. It also said that some of the main symptoms are shaking their head back and forth, and a raspy/gurgly sound to their breathing. My chick that died yesterday had those exact symptoms the day before it died.

Is there any way to tell for sure if it is gapeworm? Should I go ahead and treat for it anyway? This chick is isolated already b/c it's the only baby chick I have left. The other two died.

Back
Top Bottom