Tried frozen water bottle to break broodyness

Is their memory only three days or so?
It's not about 'memory', it's about hormone levels.
It may take longer for some birds, especially when other techniques have failed.

What does your 'jail look like and where is it located?
Pics would be most helpful here.

I had my first broody hen this spring and the crate method turned ours around in less than 48 hours. I felt terrible locking her up in a little cage, but I felt better about it when I realized the nesting box she stayed in was even smaller ....and her efforts were futile b/c we have infertile eggs/no roosters. I plan to get my first cockerel this week. If he turns out to be a good one maybe I will let her hatch out a few eggs if she goes broody next year.

Last edited:
The jail I set up is just a basic medium sized dog crate with a large board on top to shield from direct sun and rain. This is placed in my large run so there's two levels of security. She's been in there for two nights now.

She was broody for about two weeks as my efforts to break her kept failing. I've had broody chickens before, but previously I've been able to just push them out of the nest a few times and they stopped.

Maybe because she was broody for so long she's harder to break now. I'm going to do three nights in a row and hopefully that will be the end of it.

Maybe because she was broody for so long she's harder to break now.
Yep, that can definitely have an affect.

The jail I set up is just a basic medium sized dog crate with a large board on top to shield from direct sun and rain. This is placed in my large run so there's two levels of security. She's been in there for two nights now.
Is it raised off the ground?
I remove the tray and add 1x2 mesh on the bottom.
1589987988648.png

If it's hot where you are a 'wetting' might help cool her off.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1589988072430.png

Ok, after three nights in the clink, she went to roost and stayed there! I'm getting eggs a week later. Thanks for the help. My setup was very similar to aart, except the dog crate was on the ground with a plastic pan in the bottom of it. Not ideal because it really collected a goopy mess but the process worked.

Ok, after three nights in the clink, she went to roost and stayed there! I'm getting eggs a week later. Thanks for the help. My setup was very similar to aart, except the dog crate was on the ground with a plastic pan in the bottom of it. Not ideal because it really collected a goopy mess but the process worked.
Great News!
Adding the 1x2 wire to the bottom is an effort you won't regret.

My grandma used a bucket trick back in the day as her go to method and it worked. Except hers was less patient. She would just pour a bucket of cold water over the hen. Something about the rapid temperature change seems to break them of their broodiness. Might be a problem in cold weather though.
Same with my grandmother too! Nowadays people would call me cruel doing that :hmm

I tried the frozen bottle and frozen Tupperware and it got me nowhere.
Then I tried blocking access to the nest boxes but then I had a riot on my hands from the other hens.
So I copied @aart's set up (thank you for sharing that) and it worked. I had one day-release failure, but then another 24 hours and she was done.
I had been hesitant to do it because I felt mean about it - but she was surprisingly OK with it (the fresh berries I served in jail may have contributed to happiness).
I am about to start over with another hen who went broody on me this afternoon.
One question I have for @aart, or anyone else with experience of this, is whether it is better to put them in broody jail early on in the process, or let them sit a couple of days, or doesn't it really matter?

One question I have for @aart, or anyone else with experience of this, is whether it is better to put them in broody jail early on in the process, or let them sit a couple of days, or doesn't it really matter?
Put them in as soon as you confirm broodiness (aka they want to sit in the nest at night). I believe it breaks them faster but even if it doesn't, it ends all the drama sooner rather than later.

Put them in as soon as you confirm broodiness (aka they want to sit in the nest at night). I believe it breaks them faster but even if it doesn't, it ends all the drama sooner rather than later.
Thanks. Tomorrow it is! I was too tired this evening to set up the feed and water but I will do it first thing and then pop her in.
One of her comrades is beginning to consider being broody so I may be dealing with both of them.

Back
Top Bottom