Turkey losing feathers

watson35

Chirping
Aug 12, 2019
I have a male turkey that is losing his breast feathers it's just in one spot and the other Turkey's i have 2 more toms and a hen are just fine
Below is a picture need some help i tried the stuff that helps them stop plucking but nothing.
received_408153990089834.jpeg

I have a male turkey that is losing his breast feathers it's just in one spot and the other Turkey's i have 2 more toms and a hen are just fine
Below is a picture need some help i tried the stuff that helps them stop plucking but nothing.View attachment 1964485
That is really common when there are multiple toms especially when they are separated by a fence but can still see each other. It is normally caused by the tom strutting as he rubs against the fence trying to get at another tom or hen.

They are not separated by any fence they sleep in a building and he sleeps on the floor while the others are on the roost. He doesn't really strutt or anything and he doesn't weigh that much like the other ones.

They are not separated by any fence they sleep in a building and he sleeps on the floor while the others are on the roost. He doesn't really strut or anything and he doesn't weigh that much like the other ones.
Then it is most likely from sleeping on the ground. Put a bale of hay or straw in there and maybe he will use it as a roost. Sleeping on the ground explains why it is wrinkled instead of smooth.

there not on dirt we have them in a building with wood chips not sawdust on the floor
but is there anything else that could be used besides hay

there not on dirt we have them in a building with wood chips not sawdust on the floor
but is there anything else that could be used besides hay
Anything that is not high off of the ground and is big enough that it will feel comfortable roosting on. The suggestion of a bale of hay or straw is because it does not require any construction. You just set the bale in place whole.

Anything that is not high off of the ground and is big enough that it will feel comfortable roosting on. The suggestion of a bale of hay or straw is because it does not require any construction. You just set the bale in place whole.
I have another question my turkey hen laid her first egg ever last night what do i need to but she isn't sitting on it

I have another question my turkey hen laid her first egg ever last night what do i need to but she isn't sitting on it
Like most birds, a turkey does not start sitting on a single egg. They wait until they have the desired number of eggs in their clutch to cause them to go broody. Turkeys may go broody on a clutch that has anywhere from 8 to 20 eggs or more. It depends on the individual bird.

If she laid the egg in a nest, replace it with a fake egg or two to keep her laying in that nest.

Like most birds, a turkey does not start sitting on a single egg. They wait until they have the desired number of eggs in their clutch to cause them to go broody. Turkeys may go broody on a clutch that has anywhere from 8 to 20 eggs or more. It depends on the individual bird.

If she laid the egg in a nest, replace it with a fake egg or two to keep her laying in that nest.
ok so say that I don't want her to have any right now due to it being winter time and I don't have a nesting box yet can I just keep taking the eggs out or what should i do

ok so say that I don't want her to have any right now due to it being winter time and I don't have a nesting box yet can I just keep taking the eggs out or what should i do
You can keep taking the eggs away but if you don't leave at least one fake egg, she will try to find a "better" place to lay her eggs. To a turkey hen, a better place is a more hidden place which will make it harder to find the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom