Umbilical cord hanging out of my chicks butt

Holiwwod

Songster
May 30, 2021
Something is hanging out of my chicks butt and I’ve been told to leave it alone. What if the other chicks are pecking at it and the goo that was left in the egg like their hungry. I still have eggs in the incubator.

Something is hanging out of my chicks butt and I’ve been told to leave it alone. What if the other chicks are pecking at it and the goo that was left in the egg like their hungry. I still have eggs in the incubator.
If it's (umbilical) being damaged by other chicks then I trim it close.. If it gets pulled too hard it will rip his guts out.

Is it in the incubator still or in a brooder?

Is his naval mushy or just still attached?

Eta.. the butt and the naval are very close to each other, if there is something hanging out of the butt.. separate the chick until it finishes absorbing.

ETA: huh, what was I thinking.. it's the umbilical that absorbs not the butt. ;)

Last edited:
If it's (umbilical) being damaged by other chicks then I trim it close.. If it gets pulled too hard it will rip his guts out.

Is it in the incubator still or in a brooder?

Is his naval mushy or just still attached?

Eta.. the butt and the naval are very close to each other, if there is something hanging out of the butt.. separate the chick until it finishes absorbing.
But what if I have eggs that have been pipped? I was told you cannot open the incubator if you still have eggs trying to hatch.
Is it pasty butt?
no

Attachments

• 2E644231-E5B8-4557-B23F-86981D8A7413.jpeg
    2E644231-E5B8-4557-B23F-86981D8A7413.jpeg
    392.9 KB · Views: 103
  • 2F6C7C39-1156-4D23-BE44-86B4FEB9352C.jpeg
    2F6C7C39-1156-4D23-BE44-86B4FEB9352C.jpeg
    315.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 2126E5F7-D9E7-49C5-B7DA-40EA8F8BEB6B.jpeg
    2126E5F7-D9E7-49C5-B7DA-40EA8F8BEB6B.jpeg
    385.2 KB · Views: 95
But what if I have eggs that have been pipped? I was told you cannot open the incubator if you still have eggs trying to hatch.
So this is taking place inside the bator right now.. drape towels over to trap warmth and humidity and quickly grab the chick out.. just don't leave the lid open for a long time. Then quickly replace the chick in the same manner.. it isn't ready to go to the brooder.

The other option.. let nature take it's course. It will probably be fine.

Oh, and keep it dark then the other chicks won't be up pecking around at stuff!

I also move chicks out of the bator, once they are up on their feet while others are hatching instead of watching the soccer match unfold with unhatched eggs getting kicked all and tumbling all over the place.. Shrink wrapping is a real possibility.. I've never caused it YET.

I’m worried it tummy may look swollen. I took other two babies out of the incubator.

Back
Top Bottom