Watery-Bubbly Eyes & Lethargy

MochaLatte

Crowing
Jul 15, 2021
Central Illinois
Hi Flock Fam -

My friend has a hen (approx 2 yrs old) that is displaying some scary symptoms. This is what we know:

2 days ago, this hen presented with watery eyes but otherwise appeared normal. Today, the hen has very watery/bubbly eyes and is extremely lethargic. She is laying in the same spot and not moving(and had her eyes closed). When touched, she still didn't move. When picked up, she DOES flap her wings. She doesn't seem to be eating or drinking due to the lethargy/not getting up. I will attach pics.

received_4118976431562321.jpeg received_3008293372785101.jpeg

Any ideas what this could be? How she can help this hen? Thank you all in advance for any and all support provided!

It could be mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) a chronic respiratory disease which affects the eyes and causes sinus infection. Normally, it may affect only one eye, but your chicken seems to have symptoms in both eyes. Do you smell a bad odor around the face? That can be a symptom in coryza, a more serious respiratory disease. Have you added any new birds to your flock recently?

I would ask your vet for an antibiotic locally if that is possible. Or try to get Tylan 50 injectable at your feed store, or oder Tylosin powder online here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

Dosage of Tylan 50 is 0.25 ml per pound given orally 3 times a day for 3-5 days. It can be given by injection into the breast muscle as well, but orally is fine.

Here is a good article about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/def... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

Thank you so much for the reply! I'm not sure about odor, she is a few states away from me, but I will ask. She has a link to this thread so hopefully we can get her what she needs! I'll let her know about your reply as well if she hasn't seen it yet. Thank you again so much.

It could be mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) a chronic respiratory disease which affects the eyes and causes sinus infection. Normally, it may affect only one eye, but your chicken seems to have symptoms in both eyes. Do you smell a bad odor around the face? That can be a symptom in coryza, a more serious respiratory disease. Have you added any new birds to your flock recently?

I would ask your vet for an antibiotic locally if that is possible. Or try to get Tylan 50 injectable at your feed store, or oder Tylosin powder online here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

Dosage of Tylan 50 is 0.25 ml per pound given orally 3 times a day for 3-5 days. It can be given by injection into the breast muscle as well, but orally is fine.

Here is a good article about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/publications/FS-1008 Recognizing and Preventing Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf
We did get two younger hens from the fair about a month ago. This one is the only showing these symptoms. The new two the paper said they were quarantined for 21 days.. I will have to find a vet for farm stock animals. I can try the stuff from the farm store if they have that. I was thinking MG or eye worms?

Probably MG. Testing could confirm that if you contact your state vet, NPIP tester, or a lab such as Zoologix where pcr testing can be done at home. MG symptoms can be seen in as little as 6-10 days or more after exposure.

Probably MG. Testing could confirm that if you contact your state vet, NPIP tester, or a lab such as Zoologix where pcr testing can be done at home. MG symptoms can be seen in as little as 6-10 days or more after exposure.
Should I treat them all if one does have MG? Will this one be ok until tomorrow. It’s still sitting in the same spot. Will it fall off the pole if I put it up there with the others? I don’t want it sleeping on the ground since it never does. I feel bad for it.

Antibiotics should not be used unless a chicken has symptoms. Antibiotics will not prevent them from getting sick. Some may get symptoms, while others may not. MG, if this is what she has, is contagious to the whole flock. They may not show symptoms, but they can test positive for it. I would probably isolate him, although the others may be exposed already.

Antibiotics should not be used unless a chicken has symptoms. Antibiotics will not prevent them from getting sick. Some may get symptoms, while others may not. MG, if this is what she has, is contagious to the whole flock. They may not show symptoms, but they can test positive for it. I would probably isolate him, although the others may be exposed already.
Can chickens give it to dogs??

Back
Top Bottom