welsummers and going broody

ladybug4ut1

Songster
12 Years
Nov 13, 2007
Central Florida
will welsummers go broody? i know that some breeds will not but i was wondering if any one knows if welsummers will go broody. i just bought 6 20 week old welsummers and welsummers mix. i bought them for there dark eggs but was wondering if they would do this.

Thanks for any information regarding this breed.

idunno.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Yes, an old post but ...
One of my two welsummer hens went broody and hatched two chicks last week. There was a third pip that disappeared. Could she have eaten one? Anyways, she is out in the yard giving lessons to the youngsters as I write.

Yes, this is an old original post, but for those still wondering about Welsummers and their broodiness: YES, my one Welsummer has had three long broody spells during the late spring and summer. She's a year old. Because I have no rooster, and therefore won't be needing a broody hen, her determined, long-lasting (almost 3 wks. last time) broodiness is a pain!!! She is such a pretty hen (her parents were state fair champs), and her eggs are lovely--when she lays them--otherwise I'd consider swapping her for a non-broody breed.

Back
Top Bottom