What breeds are all these bantam chicks? Lots of pictures!

Dustystrail

Songster
10 Years
May 11, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Any one want to help me guess what these day old chicks are? I bought them as hatching eggs to try out some different breeds. Possible breeds are Cochin, Cornish, D'Uccle, Moderns, Old English, Phoenix, Sebright, Serama, Silkie. There were four "extra" eggs that may be cross breeds.

#1 Has a straight comb. I was sure that it was a red pyle Modern until I took pictures. I really don't know anything about moderns and have never seen a red pyle chick. It is extremely friendly, quiet, and always seeks the warmest spot it can find. It is one of the smallest and very long legged.

#2 Has 5 toes on one foot. A couple feathers on its feet. Friendly.

#3 Has 5 toes on one foot and a couple feathers on its feet. Straight comb. Doesn't want to hold still and have it's picture taken. One of the biggest.

#4 Straight comb. Can't hold still.

#5 Has slight leg feathering. One of the biggest.

#6 Looks like a black silkie with not much of a toppy.

#7 Straight comb and friendly.

#8 Straight comb, skittish, and noisy.

#9 Looks like a white Cochin but it is more energetic than my LF Cochins. Has a straight comb and is one of the biggest.

#10 Straight comb and noisy.

#11 Pretty much identical to 9.

#12 Looks like the silver variety of 10??? Noisy too.

#13 Very prominent muffs and beard.

#14 Sleepy, noisy chick. Has stripes on its back. Thinking it's a Sebright but I don't remember my goldens having stripes.

#15 Very skittish with a straight comb.

#16 Another stripped Sebright looking one.

#17 Brown stripes and a straight comb.

#18 More stripes. Sebright?

#19 Straight comb and friendly.

#20 Single brown stripe down the middle of its back. One of the last to hatch so not completely fluffed up for picture time.

Hope everyone enjoys the pics and I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts!

#6=black silkie,#10=D'uccle, #13=maybe blue EE?, #s14,16 & 18=silver sebrights, #17 maybe a speckled sussex.

These are my best guesses for some of them. Sorry, I am not all that good with breeds.
hmm.png

#6=black silkie,#10=D'uccle, #13=maybe blue EE?, #s14,16 & 18=silver sebrights, #17 maybe a speckled sussex.

These are my best guesses for some of them. Sorry, I am not all that good with breeds. :/  

That is exactly what I was thinking on #13 but there aren't supposed to be any of those in there. Maybe a D'uccle cross?

That is exactly what I was thinking on #13 but there aren't supposed to be any of those in there. Maybe a D'uccle cross?
Yeah, maybe. I was just looking through my chicken encyclopedia and the only other breed that I could find that resembles you chick is a buff brahma. But, your chick doesn't have feathered feet, does it?

someone probably has by now. I am sure you could find one somewhere on the internet 

Well if someone knows of one please point me in the right direction.

I'm going to have to get better pics of #1 My son even thinks it has ridiculously long legs. Even though it is about the smallest one I've noticed the others seem to enjoy walking under it, between its legs. When it sleeps it usually ends up on its side in a way that causes us to check on it. I've also seen it sleeping straddling another chick and with its face on the floor and it's butt in the air. It's color is more of a pale apricot than it looks in the pictures too. I'm back to thinking red pyle modern!

Back
Top Bottom