What did you do in the garden today?

As soon as my garden clothes come out of the dryer, I'm planting the veggie garden! The smoke is thick this morning, but I don't care (much).

I haven't seen a tick yet this year. So either the chickens are doing a great job, or I'm just not looking hard enough, because there is NO WAY they aren't out there.

Veggies.....awaaayyyyy!
Have a great day all.

Good afternoon gardeners:frow

I got the shed cleaned out :yesss:
There's a pile ready for bulk trash in August and I have to wait until after Friday to empty the wheelbarrow. I moved some logs that we're never going to burn out under a shade structure and got rid of a 2x4 that was up on bricks for a little roost. Much better. I still need to go find a zip tie and fix the shade cloth on that and get the trashcan back to the front yard but then it's done. All the tomato cages and gardening tools are out of the weather but close to where they're needed. Finally!

I have ants in the garden so I took the hose in there and turned it on and flooded it. We'll see how they like that. I'm going to try to coax them out with a dry pot and then put out some bait.

Break is over, have a great day everyone.

I think I might be a little obsessed with trying to start pineapples. :lol: :cool:
I think most are growing, I know at least one is!
557F29E6-68A6-4DCC-9362-CF9A313BB88F.jpeg
6C4DDBB8-F7FC-4DAA-BD43-77560C5E76FB.jpeg

And it has a side pup to boot!
BE01681A-B2EB-4A28-8A68-F4152A2B9464.jpeg

I think I might be a little obsessed with trying to start pineapples. :lol: :cool:
I think most are growing, I know at least one is!
View attachment 1799259 View attachment 1799262

And it has a side pup to boot!
View attachment 1799261
I started one last year but didn't realize that it would take 2 years before they would grow a pineapple!! I tried to build a mini green house around it to get it to survive a Missouri winter, but the winds tore it down and the poor thing froze to death.:he

8 hours in the blazing sun today. Everything that needs planted this season is now planted. No cukes or beans this year. I'm giving the beetles the year off. 40 tomato plants and 8 peppers, different varieties. Several honey berry bushes, raspberry and blackberries. 4 different varieties of squash. All drip irrigated, all heavily mulched.

DS took up his drone and got me a shot for you. Nothing like a drone to show you how out of square your garden in. GOOD GRIEF! Ignore that please.

I have 6 of the 40 tomato plants that don't look good. Everything perked up really well once I watered, but still those 6 look crappy. If they still look bad in 7 days I'll pull them and replant with more.

I also found the natural spring that runs under the property. We knew it was there, it varies on depth depending on seasonal rainfall. Currently it is only 5 inches below ground!It cuts through the corner of the garden and runs down towards the barn. It's not consistent enough to drill a sand well for livestock water or plant irrigation though. Total bummer as my house well is over 400 feet deep.

Bean shaped area on far upper left is the squash area, garden is lower center, orchard is to the right.
20190602_204839.jpg

8 hours in the blazing sun today. Everything that needs planted this season is now planted. No cukes or beans this year. I'm giving the beetles the year off. 40 tomato plants and 8 peppers, different varieties. Several honey berry bushes, raspberry and blackberries. 4 different varieties of squash. All drip irrigated, all heavily mulched.

DS took up his drone and got me a shot for you. Nothing like a drone to show you how out of square your garden in. GOOD GRIEF! Ignore that please.

I have 6 of the 40 tomato plants that don't look good. Everything perked up really well once I watered, but still those 6 look crappy. If they still look bad in 7 days I'll pull them and replant with more.

I also found the natural spring that runs under the property. We knew it was there, it varies on depth depending on seasonal rainfall. Currently it is only 5 inches below ground!It cuts through the corner of the garden and runs down towards the barn. It's not consistent enough to drill a sand well for livestock water or plant irrigation though. Total bummer as my house well is over 400 feet deep.

Bean shaped area on far upper left is the squash area, garden is lower center, orchard is to the right.View attachment 1799493

Any particular reason the squash is so far away from the garden?

It's the area around my well head. It used to be covered with that heavy landscape fabric and about a dumptruck load of river stones with a concrete curb. It was dumb looking. It took a nearly invisible well head, and surrounded it with 1000 square feet of stone that screamed LOOK AT ME! I"M A ROCK BED WHERE NOTHING WILL GROW BECAUSE THE EARTH NEVER DRIES AND HAS GONE SOUR!

I removed the fabric and stones 2 years ago and have been adding organic material and aerating it to bring back the worms and fix the soil. It's not there yet, so it is a perfect location for 16 crazy viney things that can take over the top of the hill! LOL. I'll just mow around them after they head for the lawn.

I still have not planted a thing. too wet..
I have 8 tomato plants growing in their tiny pots waiting to be planted ..
thinking I will put them into 5 gallon buckets if I can't plant them out soon.
today I got the tractor drag mounted.
I took pictures of that, and also pictures of
the raised bedder disc set up that I will be using after I get the corn patch dragged..

100_1185[1].JPG
100_1184[2].JPG
100_1183[1].JPG

Back
Top Bottom