What did you do in the garden today?

calica.PNG

Took a pic of a feeding frenzy.

That boy has the 5 toes to prove that. I now also picked up a batch of SGD's, but they have to finish growing out before I can breed them. There's 7 pullet's and a cockerel.
I hope you have bette luck breeding SGD than I did. I made great hybrids with them but the SGD offspring were very sickly for me. The best tasting birds I ever ate were half Dorking half free tangible meat bird (Red Ranger). Their breasts did not stick out like a Cornish but that was a deep long keel and seemed to have just as much breast meat with short but thick meaty legs.

I made homemade BBQ sauce entirely from scratch. I grew all the ingredients except the celery. Last weekend I made ketchup (which is to the right of the picture)

7B4C5E5B-82EE-407A-B325-99CA30C6BC20.jpeg

Attachments

• 5CF2177E-2BDF-44EA-ADC4-53678FB5C0FF.jpeg
    5CF2177E-2BDF-44EA-ADC4-53678FB5C0FF.jpeg
    647.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 7A619950-B3DB-456D-9D0F-F55105FB9905.jpeg
    7A619950-B3DB-456D-9D0F-F55105FB9905.jpeg
    414.3 KB · Views: 4
  • CAF4603C-F144-4B75-8CE1-DD02492AF10F.jpeg
    CAF4603C-F144-4B75-8CE1-DD02492AF10F.jpeg
    425.2 KB · Views: 2
I wonder if they know they are cousins. or 2nd cousin, or maybe she is his great aunt, I can't keep track of how it all went down I just know they pretty much all came from the patriarch Dorking Rooster.
I want to hatch an egg or two from them next year, hopefully I’ll get a broody again but before it gets too hot.

I want to hatch an egg or two from them next year, hopefully I’ll get a broody again but before it gets too hot.
that silver grey dorking (although she has some Red Ranger in her) in that picture is 3/4 Dorking so highly likely she will (or already had) go/gone broody. I may not be accurate about her genetics because my memory is bad. I can't remember who I bred to who and sent hatching eggs to who.

I hope you have bette luck breeding SGD than I did. I made great hybrids with them but the SGD offspring were very sickly for me. The best tasting birds I ever ate were half Dorking half free tangible meat bird (Red Ranger). Their breasts did not stick out like a Cornish but that was a deep long keel and seemed to have just as much breast meat with short but thick meaty legs.
Cuckoo has the Dorking look which I really like, but she’s a little girl with smallish eggs. She makes up in attitude what she lacks in size though. She almost killed me when I took her babies away 🤭

I really love my Sumatra Silkie Cross, he is a real stunner. I also love and respect this Malinois he would probably cause deep lacerations to any bad actors who would cross our fenceline.

We chose not to make a good video, but dang this dogs bite is worse than his bark. Latch on then do the shake and hold, ugh, that is one nasty animal to be on the wrong side of.

that silver grey dorking (although she has some Red Ranger in her) in that picture is 3/4 Dorking so highly likely she will (or already had) go/gone broody. I may not be accurate about her genetics because my memory is bad. I can't remember who I bred to who and sent hatching eggs to who.
You are correct in her genetics as I recall. She has never gone to sit on eggs but I had a broody girl that I tried to give chicks to that I hatched in my incubator. The broody got mad because she wanted to sit still, it had been almost three weeks, but the Dorking girl raised the chicks and took in the older chicks I had as well. She was a great mom!

hmm... so I should then pick and peel now? Sounds like a potentially messy job, but I ned to do something soon.
I would. Try one first and see how it goes.

I've heard the smell of drying birdhouse gourds is unpleasant, so they won't be coming inside.
Interesting. Traditionally, gourds were dried in sand here. I am also trying gourds. I would like my son to try some of the traditional ways of decorating them. This kind of thing: https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/te-manu-korihi/243691/hue-exhibition-in-whanganui

Back
Top Bottom