What did you do in the garden today?

Did a little weeding yesterday, and when I did water changes on my aquariums (3) I emptied the dirty water on my annuals, my gardenia bushes, and the hydrangeas too.

It's almost 90° here today and the sun is intense, so all I did was a short visual inspection of the raised bed gardens after checking in with the chickens.

I saw this... I'm hoping it doesn't get blossom end rot.
IMG_20230618_134431279_HDR.jpg

Finally getting around to planting the last of the garden. It's been raining everyday. Feast or famine here for rain the last few years.
Anyway. Decided to start training the turkeys on pest control. Cute little buggers. Snatching up all the ants and other little crawlies. Hopefully they stick to bugs and I can let them in the garden on a regular basis.
20230618_155808.jpg

20230618_155938.jpg

I walked the garden with my hoe and chopped down two or three Canada thistle sprouts. It seems like I'm seeing fewer and fewer of those noxious weeds coming up, but I imagine when it really warms up here next month I'll have a lot more to chop down.

I picked a mess of peas and a big leaf lettuce plant. Got 'em rinsed off and in the fridge for later.

Our wave of zucchini seems to be tapering off and the wave of cucumbers has begun!
🥒🥒🥒🥒🥒
I'm picking 10-15 cucumbers every other day it seems. We made fermented pickles, refrigerator pickles, freeze dried cucumber chips, we use the cucumbers daily in our healthy smoothies, lol, I need to find some good cucumber salad recipes that are acceptable on my husband's limited diet because I'm running out of things to do with them! 😆
I've given a TON away too!

Well, remember those bad storms I mentioned we were going to get? Lightning struck the giant dogwood tree next to the house. Partially fell on the roof, mostly on the chainlink fence for our backyard. Smashed an old composter I don't use... All in all, it could have been much much worse.
IMG_2872.jpg
20230618_120325.jpg

Also brought down part of a giant dead pine tree across the driveway
IMG_2873.jpg

Flashflooded through the garden. Washed all my straw mulch into a pile. Washed the wood mulch around the perimeter into the yard. Pretty much flattened my oats and peanuts. Also caused a lot of damage to my determinate tomatoes which were very heavy with fruit. Kind of forced me to have to prune them and add additional supports. I still had quite a few green tomatoes that fell off the vine.

Well, remember those bad storms I mentioned we were going to get? Lightning struck the giant dogwood tree next to the house. Partially fell on the roof, mostly on the chainlink fence for our backyard. Smashed an old composter I don't use... All in all, it could have been much much worse.
View attachment 3547531
View attachment 3547530

Also brought down part of a giant dead pine tree across the driveway
View attachment 3547532

Flashflooded through the garden. Washed all my straw mulch into a pile. Washed the wood mulch around the perimeter into the yard. Pretty much flattened my oats and peanuts. Also caused a lot of damage to my determinate tomatoes which were very heavy with fruit. Kind of forced me to have to prune them and add additional supports. I still had quite a few green tomatoes that fell off the vine.
So happy to know no one got hurt. 😢🥺. Sorry for the loss of tomatoes and everything else. I had a serious scare when the rains got heavy here in Northern California. I thought for sure we were going to be evaluated.

Finally getting around to planting the last of the garden. It's been raining everyday. Feast or famine here for rain the last few years.
Anyway. Decided to start training the turkeys on pest control. Cute little buggers. Snatching up all the ants and other little crawlies. Hopefully they stick to bugs and I can let them in the garden on a regular basis.
View attachment 3547168
View attachment 3547171
We put our bb poults out in the pasture today too!

Back
Top Bottom