What did you do in the garden today?

I started covering frames over the strawberries with chicken wire. Hand is sore from using the wire cutters so much. Still need to finish.
The replacement belt for my timer was delivered today. I'll be getting that installed and tilling finally. Then potatoes will go in and soon enough I'll be planting corn and transplanting watermelon and sunflowers in the tilled area.

I started covering frames over the strawberries with chicken wire. Hand is sore from using the wire cutters so much. Still need to finish.
The replacement belt for my timer was delivered today. I'll be getting that installed and tilling finally. Then potatoes will go in and soon enough I'll be planting corn and transplanting watermelon and sunflowers in the tilled area.
Do you have an angle grinder? With a cutoff wheel it cuts through wire like butter.

We get native blue ones here.

The automatic watering barrel thingy we have for the chickens is kinda falling apart, it wasn't really made right and so is hard to service when needed. I'm trying to decide if I want to get it rebuilt or just use the simple 3 gallon basic waterer I use as emergency water. It has to have a level base and that's hard to manage with the girls out there digging to China.
I set my five gallon feeder and waterer on concrete ("cinder") blocks that I have sunk down 1-2". So far they've not been able to topple either one.
IMG_20240302_082316403~2.jpg

⬆️ The waterer also is secured by a bungee cord.

Omg, it was so windy today... And I really needed to spray the fruit trees since we had all that rain yesterday. I managed to get everything done reasonably well. I had to stand on top of the 4 wheeler to reach the top of the peach trees since they are easily 10+ feet tall now. The only thing I didn't spray was my pink rose bush because it's right next to the double gold raspberries which were teeming with honeybees.

I really need to finish the new self-watering raised bed for the tomatoes this weekend but decided not to work on it tonight. I'll haul rocks tomorrow... Instead I went and played with the baby goats. 😊

Oh, and my irises are beginning to bloom. And ranunculus have sprouted from the ground. 😊 Very excited about that! Can't wait to see them in full bloom...

Yesterday was so awesome weather-wise, today we have rain coming, then very windy Friday with 50mph gusts. Humidity & wind really kick my butt, arthritis & fibromyalgia, sinus headaches, the works. Yesterday I felt & worked like I was 20 & today I am paying the price, feeling old, sacroiliac pain along with a barometric headache. Oh well, gotta take the good with the bad, right?

I can't paint on the jobsite til Sat & Sun, so today I can rake what I tilled, before it rains. (After I pop 2 Aleve). I wanted to spread the wildflower seeds in that tilled section, but with high winds I will hold off. I use straw over top of the seed so I can wait a few days, no sense letting wind blow straw all over. After raking this morning I will be washing & crating eggs for market, pickling some eggs for us, & potting about 50 house plants...my house plants had baby plants & I rooted them.
View attachment 3798209

Chlorophytum comosum, usually called spider plant or common spider plant due to its spider-like look, also known as spider ivy, airplane plant, ribbon plant (a name it shares with Dracaena sanderiana), and hen and chickens, is a species of evergreen perennial flowering plant of the family Asparagaceae.

The tomato sprouts...I guess they're growing, but darn, seems like slow motion to me. I brought them outside yesterday as it was 70s & sunny. They did like sunshine, after so many cloudy rainy days here.
But "Something" ate a few sprouts tender leaves off! What kind of bug would do that? The little jerk ate a few then took off before I could see the culprit that did this dastardly deed.

View attachment 3798211

I got the Brussel sprout seeds & 2 other types of tomato seeds started. Got more canning jars at Dollar General.

So...on a kind of funny note, I was in the newer chicken coop, which still is not completely finished, and I saw a visitor slither in. This 12x24 shed used to be a wood shop & I often found perfectly intact shed skins, some quite long. I donated them to Prime Hook refuge for educational purposes. Anyway, they're good mousers, so I left them alone. Rick despises & is quite fearful of them, so I figured I'd better relocate this one. If Rick has seen it, not sure if he would just run from it or kill it. So I took it for a ride, a safer place, huge natural growing area, where no one will mess with him/her. I asked Rick to drive but he wouldn't even come out of the house when he saw me holding it! I drove 1 handed & I have to tell ya, Mr./Ms. Snake was a better passenger than Rick...no backseat driving! 😆 I told Rick, he'd better be nice to his Lady Snake Wrangler, here. Lol
View attachment 3798219View attachment 3798220

Too long to get whole body in 1 pic while holding, had to take 3
View attachment 3798223View attachment 3798224View attachment 3798225

See ya later, hope I don't regret this...snake will be happy but I may miss a good mouser
View attachment 3798226View attachment 3798227
Rat snake!

They eat Copperheads.

Can I claim chicks as dependents???

;)
I think you can, an acquaintance of mine told me he claims 7 dependents, but in reality, he has none. He got kicked out of the army because he couldn't keep up with the physical fitness test. However, he is kind of a math genius, you could give him any numbers to multiply or divide, and he will tell you the answer within a minute without a calculator. He can figure it out in his head.

Oh, another thing, he told me he doesn't file taxes, even if money is owed to him.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom