What does YOUR basic tuna casserole consist of?

aubreynoramarie

designated lawn flamingo
9 Years
May 27, 2010
Reno, Nevada
I used to make a killer one with pepperjack cheese but I have forgotten what else I used to put in it! I Did a google search but everyones recipes are all fancy. I am just craving some basic tuna casserole!

I just use noodles, a big can of tuna, cream of mushroom soup mixed with 1/2 cup sour cream and some half and half to thin it, a can of green peas, and cheddar cheese on top, although pepperjack cheese sounds like it would be good. As Peg Bracken said in her "I Hate to Cook" book, you don't want to sew diamond buttons on denim overalls.

Tuna, a can of cream of Mushroom soup, and cooked noodles. Bake together. It's it.

My mother always topped it with crushed potato chips. An unnecessary expense and unnecessary calories as far as I am concerned.

Quote:
You forgot the cheese!

I ended up using two cans of cream of celery and one can of cream of chicken, five cans of tuna, a block of pepperjack cheese, and a bag of egg noodles. No topping. This made two casserole dishes of tuna casserole. I think I'm set, lol

It sounds really weird, but a friend gave me her recipe that uses a little red wine in the sauce.
Turns a horrible gray color at first, but then you'd never know it was in there.

I must have frozen green peas in mine & a crunchy topping - Panko crumbs with melted butter
: 9
Everything else is optional.

I use to make it with mushroom soup and sour cream mixed with sharp cheddar. I have been using Greek Yogurt instead and it gives a nice tang. We like veggies in our tuna casserole. It can be anything but these are a few favorites sliced mushrooms, diced red peppers, onions, black olives, and green peas. I like something crunchy on top like crushed cornflakes, potato chips or French fried onion rings.

I would rather have green beans in tuna cassarole. Also you can't forget some kind of cheese. I would top with those dried onions that we use in green bean casserole for the top. Sounds good, I might have to make this soon!

Quote:
Not gross - I LOVE capers!
thumbsup.gif

My tuna casserole starts with tuna and noodles...and then I add whatever frozen veggies I have. Lima beans are yummolicious in it, but my DH is not a lima bean fan, so I use 1/2 limas, 1/2 peas or beans...and pretty much whatever else is about to go over the hill in the fridge! I once made a tuna and hot dog casserole. I thought it was pretty tastey...DH thought
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom