What is the best way to attach Hardware Cloth to other fencing?

Rubyegg

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 16, 2011
Winter Haven, FL
I'm off to get the dog kennel run on sale at TSC (Last day!) for my new chicken run. I will be attaching hardware cloth to the bottom part of the fencing before letting the chickens have full use of it. What is the best way to attach one wiring to another? I appreciate all feedback and I'm so excited I can hardly sit and wait for TSC to open!
wee.gif

I use zip ties. I get the bigger ones so they are stronger. Anywhere there is wood I do the washer and screws, but when it is wire to wire I use zip ties.

Here is a picture where our run is connected to the tractor. I used cube shelves and zip ties to make the connection.

DSC_0060.jpg

I use wire and "sew" them together. Be careful about zip ties they don't hold up well to UV. The white ones especially. Black is better but still only good for a couple/three years.

Quote:
+1 for "sewing" with light gauge wire. I use the zip ties for quick fixes, but after about two years they start breaking.

If you look closely at home repair stores, they often have metal zip strips- THAT's the way to go...you know me...I always say, "Build for bear so you don't find out the hard way you can't withstand a raccoon or dog."

Quote:
Oooooh--that sounds good, too. Are they galvanized or otherwise rust-proof?

I love the point about building for bear--my husband and I often disagree on that point and I always end up sending him BACK to the hardware store for something stronger.

You will need someone on the other side of the fencing to make this project go smooth and "sew" simple. My hubby and I use some thin wire. Start at one end with the double looping in each hole of the chicken wire. You pass the wire to your helper, he/she pulls tight each one of you pull tightly on that chicken wire while the other is sewing the wire secure and tight!
clap.gif

I've used J-Clips but that was with different wire. With your combination of wires, I'd think using other wire would be best.

One thing I'll mention, based on bad experience. When you put the hardware cloth on, make sure it is connected well enough that a chicken cannot get between it and the regular fencing. Those birdbrains will push their way into openings you would not think possible. They may get in from the bottom, top, or ends. Sometimes it can be hard getting them back out. And if you are going to have baby chicks in there sometime in the future, consider that when determining how well to attach it.

I agree to never use plastic, either as fencing or the zip ties. The zip ties are better than they used to be, but any plastic will eventually get brittle.

Back
Top Bottom