When should I start giving my chicks water?

Black Pirate

In the Brooder
May 8, 2021
I've been raising chicks for some time now. A friend of mine hatched some chicks around a week ago, so I asked him about their diet and water intake. He told me that he hasn't given them any water since it's the winter and they might fall ill, and I find this concerning because a week is a lot of time without water, and I've always given my chicks water since day 1. Any advice?

If his chicks are still alive and thriving there is some detail he isn't telling you. They have to be getting water from somewhere.

My suggestion is to have clean water available. Once they get older you may run into problems with water freezing. They can go without water for short periods but they should be getting water at least twice a day. More often is better. And it needs to be clean.

I'm of the opinion that water is more important than food, almost.

It is. Chickens (and people) can survive much longer without food than without water. Air - water - food, in order of importance. For chicks/chickens that eat dry commercial feed, water is even more important because they aren't getting any from their food. I agree that if those chicks are still alive, then there must be another piece of the puzzle. Like how the science recommends not to give water to human babies until 6 months old, and a lot of people are outraged and freak out when they hear that, but if you think about it, until that age, they subsist solely on liquids. Plenty of water in that. So those chicks might be getting their water elsewhere. Still, it's very misleading and dangerous for that person to be advising others not to give water, especially without a disclaimer on his chicks' alternative hydration sources.

I find myself hoping this post is merely trolling, trying to get a rise out of the community.

YES. Chicks need fresh clean water. Sure, they can probably go without a few days as the last of the yolk sack is absorbed (depending on how long they struggled to escape their cell of calcium carbonate), but an extended period without water is detrimental to all living things - the just born most especially.

I can't imagine where your friend got their information from. Can you politely suggest they join BYC??? This community has its disagreements, and some frequent posters of questionable qualifications, but in the main, it will steer you (welcom to BYC, btw) and your friend right, with the weath of direct experience, research, and knowledge here accumulated.

and if its a fear of drowning in their water bowl, a few marbles or similar can be helpful in ensuring the dish is not so deep as to allow them to soak themselves into hypothermia or somehow drown.

Back
Top Bottom