When to switch my different age chicks to finisher/grower feed

roz

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 2, 2010
MA
I have 13 chicks that just turned 8 weeks on Friday, and 5 chicks that are 2.5 weeks behind them in age. How do I switch the older ones to grower/ finisher with the younger ones in there? Do I just wait until they are all old enough? Or split the age difference?

the best way to change them over is to mix teh grower with crumbs so they geta feel for the larger pellets with the adition to the smaller crumbs

grower is usually started at around 4-6 weeks so your good to go now

btw are you giving them grower or finisher as they are 2 different types of feed

grower is given to all chicken pullets or cockrels

and finisher to roos only usually

this is because grower is used to help them grow and mature quickly where as finisher is to get them to grow at a slower rate without reducing the required feed nutriants

usually pullets are not given finisher as that can stunt their egg laying and they will mature slower cause eggs to start later

Thanks for clearing that up for me! For some reason I thought you switch food at 8 weeks and I thought grower/finisher was the same thing. Did I mess up by having my chicks on chick starter for so long? The feed store is closed Mondays so I won't be able to switch them over until Tuesday.

Thanks for clearing that up for me! For some reason I thought you switch food at 8 weeks and I thought grower/finisher was the same thing. Did I mess up by having my chicks on chick starter for so long? The feed store is closed Mondays so I won't be able to switch them over until Tuesday.

its a common misconsumption

for a long time i wondered what the difference was too and one place i buy feed from told me

keeping chicks on crumbs that long wont effect them at all dont worry just get em some grower on tuesday and you will be ok

the main thing is dont run out of food

what you feed them is not an issue as teh core ingrediants are the same

the ratios are what is different

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom