Why is my broody hen eating her eggs?

barnardflock

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2015
Indiana
Hi, I have a Brahma broody hen that has about 16 eggs due to hatch on March 12/13. This morning I went in the coop, and she had yolk on her face and there was a part of an egg shell on the ground half way under her chest. :( I don't know if my other hen tried to push her out of the nest, or what? (My other hen wants to sit as well, but the one thats sitting won't let her)
Is there anything I can do to get her to stop?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi, I have a Brahma broody hen that has about 16 eggs due to hatch on March 12/13. This morning I went in the coop, and she had yolk on her face and there was a part of an egg shell on the ground half way under her chest. :(    I don't know if my other hen tried to push her out of the nest, or what?  (My other hen wants to sit as well, but the one thats sitting won't let her)
Is there anything I can do to get her to stop?
Thanks!

Could be the other hen crowded in, the egg broke and the broody was just cleaning up the mess. Might not be a bad idea to separate them if you can.

Last edited:
Agreed. She may also be sitting on too many eggs, not covering them adequately and they are dying. A hen will eat any dead or unfertilized egg to keep the nest clean so the live eggs don't get contaminated. It's also a way for her to get some nutrition needs met and avoid attracting predators. I would block the other hen from access to the nest.

She will not stop, she will always will eat eggs even if you cut a bit from her beak will not work. Keep her only for eggs or if you like the breed put her eggs under another hen. Every time she wants to sit take her and put her chest in something with cold water. Do this 2-3 ties a day and she will give up being broody. Wei only the chest not all of her. This is a very old thing in Europe. I do it all the time with mine and it works. In the summer they go crazy half of them get broody.

She will not stop, she will always will eat eggs even if you cut a bit from her beak will not work. Keep her only for eggs or if you like the breed put her eggs under another hen. Every time she wants to sit take her and put her chest in something with cold water. Do this 2-3 ties a day and she will give up being broody. Wei only the chest not all of her. This is a very old thing in Europe. I do it all the time with mine and it works. In the summer they go crazy half of them get broody.
Maybe...but not necessarily....there are other reasons for this occurrence, as already stated.
Some broody's are cannibalistic, but it's pretty darn rare.

Nipping beak would be drastic IMO....as is cold water dip to break broodiness, wire cage can do the trick if implemented properly.

That depends on why she ate the egg in the first place. Personally, I'd let her be and see if it happens again after separating her from the other chicken.

ETA - If I had a chicken that was eating eggs to the extent that I felt the need to clip her beak, I'd probably eat the chicken instead. Get rid of that bad habit once and for all.

Last edited:
Goodness ..;)....I fully believe the egg broke and of course she ate it then.....She probably is not a cannibal and will hatch out the Chicks....Put her into her own nest with food and water and let her set the eggs in a peaceful , stress free place......

Cheers!...;)

I found a partially developed egg eating in my hens quarantine cage today. She’s the only on in there... did you find anything else out about this?

Back
Top Bottom